Lamia Moubayed Bissat
Who Is She
What I have done for Lebanon
Throughout my career, I have been a fervent supporter of women talents and put forth my commitment at many occasions. I nurtured excellence in institutions and people, I coached talented youth working in the State so that they become the ethical, visionary and competent leaders of tomorrow. I nurtured values of civil service and best value for tax payers’ money. I flagged unethical behavior and coached those who believe in a futuristic long-term vision of a modern state as the way out of exclusion and fragility.
Contact information / Private
Contact information / Work
- Master's degree, Business Administration, 1998, Ecole Supérieur des Affaires, Lebanon.
- Master's degree, Agricultural Economics and Development, 1990, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
- Bachelor of Science, Agricultural Engineering, 1988, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
- Diploma, Ingénieur Agricole, 1988, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
Areas of expertise
- Development Economics
- Public Sector Reform and Institutional Development
- Capacity Building
- Human Resource Management and Training
- Advocacy and Public Awareness
- Networking and Partnership Building
- Resources Mobilization
- Head, 2000 – present, Basil Fuleihan Institute of Finance, training and communication arm of the Ministry of Finance of Lebanon.
- Economic Affairs Officer, 1997 – 2000, United Nations – ESCWA.
- Project Manager, 1995 – 1997, United nations Development Program.
- Assistant Manager, 1994 – 1997, Lebanese Arab Contracting and Engineering Company - LACECO.
- Staff member, 1992 – 1997, Consultation and Research Institute - CRI .
Honorary office and memberships
- Nominated (2018) by the United Nations Secretary-General to serve on the Committee of Experts in Public Administration (CEPA) for a four year term.
- Elected (2016) member of the board of the “International Association of Schools and Institutes of Administration (IASIA).
- Founding member (2013) of the MENAPAR network of Researcher in public administration.
- Founding member of GIFT-MENA network (Governance Institutes for Training in MENA), 2006 - present.
- Member of INNOVMED (Network of Innovators in Governance in the Mediterranean Region) supported by UN DESA, 2003 - present.
- Member of Engineers and Architects Syndicate, 1996 - present.
- Member of AUB Alumni Association, 1996 - present .
- Founding member of GREEN LINE (a scientific association for the conservation of natural and cultural environment in Lebanon), 1991 - present.
- Moubayed L., Potier V. et Yakhlef AB,(2016) “L’avenir de l’Action Publique: Regards croisées autour de la méditerranée », Centre National de La Fonction Publique Territoriale, 68p
- Moubayed Bissat L., (April 2015) “Public Administration Reform: Challenges facing MENA countries”, European Institute of the Mediterranean (IEMed) working group on Public Administration Reform Barcelona, Spain.
- Moubayed Bissat L., (June 204) From Government to Governance: How Will the Arab Region Meet the Goals of Sustainable Development in the Post 2015 Period?” Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA), E/ESCWA/ECRI/2015/WP.3 (Published).
- Moubayed Bissat L., Ghandour I., Hatem S.(June 2014) “Building capacities in public financial management in a post-conflict country: A practice from the Ministry of Finance and the Institute of Finance of LebanonNew Directions in the Middle East, Digest of Middle East Studies, June 2014 (published)
- Moubayed Bissat L., CRihan c Hatem S.,, (October 2013) "Lebanon’s Experiment with Installing Competitive Recruitment, paper submitted at the conference of the International Association for Administrative Sciences IAAS-IASIA, June 2013 and published in Assadissa: Journal of Public Finance and State Building.
- Moubayed Bissat L., (October 2013) "Why Civil Service Reform is Inevitable in Times of Crisis", Assadissa: Journal of Public Finance and State Building, October 2013.
- Moubayed Bissat L., (June 2013) “Future Risks and Strategies in MENA Transition Countries” paper submitted at the conference of the International Association for Administrative Sciences IAAS-IASIA
- Moubayed Bissat L., (June 2013) “Public administration: Improving transparency and accountability”, paper presented at the Barcelona EuroMed Forum, Social inclusion in the aftermath of the Arab Spring: from politics to policies 27-28 June 2013
- Moubayed Bissat L., (Dec 2012) “Budget at the core of Public Financial Management Reform”, Assadissa: Journal of Public Finance and State Building, December 2012.
- Moubayed Bissat L. & Bsaibes M. (Dec 2012) "Introducing a Gender-Driven Approach to Performance Budgeting: AustriaJournal of Public Finance and State Building, December 2012.
- Moubayed Bissat L., (August 2011) "Introducing Gender based Budgets in the Lebanese Budget system", Paper presented at the workshop on preparing Gender Based Budgets, organized by UN-ESCWA.
- Moubayed Bissat L & Ghandour I., (May 2011) "Measuring the Salary Bill" Assadissa: Journal of Public Finance and State Building.
- Moubayed Bissat, L. (2010, March). Tahaddiyat tamkin al-mar`a fi al-buldan al-arabiya: Ba'd attawajouhat al-houkoumiya 'ala daw` al-ittijahaat al-maliyya al-haditha [The challenges of women's empowerment in Arabic: Some governmental trends in light of recent financial trends]. Paper presented at the international conference on women and youth in Arab Human Development, organized by the Arab Planning Institute in Kuwait.
- Moubayed Bissat, L. (2004, April). Good practice note on capacity development in public financial management. Paper presented at the Working Party on Aid effectiveness and Donor Practices meeting of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).
- Moubayed Bissat, L. (2002, June). The role of civil society in rural community development: Two case studies from Lebanon. Paper presented at joint ESCWA-WBI Capacity Building Workshop on Rural Development in the Middle east, Beirut, 3-6 JUNE 2002.
- Moubayed Bissat, L. (1999). Rural community development through strengthening institution building: Two case studies from Lebanon. New York: Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA) (E/ESCWA/AGR/1999/8).
- Moubayed Bissat, L. (1999, July). Arab women and work: Review of progress since Beijing. Paper prepared for the International Labor Office (ILO) Regional Office for the Arab States.
Awards and Distinctions
- Chevalier de la Légion d’Honneur” (2014) awarded by the President of the French Republic Mr. Francois Hollande.
- Chevalier de l'Ordre National du Mérite awarded by the President of Republic of France. Mr. Jacques Chirac, June 2004.
- Sana Najjar-Zahr Award for best student performance, American University of Beirut, Faculty of Agricultural & Food Sciences - Beirut, Lebanon, June 1988.