May Faysal El-Khalil
Who Is She
What I have done for Lebanon
May El Khalil is the Founder and President of the Beirut Marathon Association which oversees the annual Beirut International Marathon. In 2018, the race and social movement attracted 48,605 runners from 109 countries.
Mrs. El Khalil has been recognized for her work nationally and internationally;
The assertion she made in her most powerful TED GLOBAL talk was that “peacemaking was not a sprint, but a marathon”, meaning that this kind of endeavor was a long race that requires commitment, endurance, and optimal belief in the ultimate goal.
In addition to her work at the Beirut Marathon Association, Mrs. El Khalil speaks at different Universities and organizations about the power of sport, perseverance, unity, and making the impossible dream of peace happen through running.
Contact information / Private
Contact information / Work
Areas of expertise
- Managing a Non-Governmental Organization
- Organizing Local, Regional, and International Races
- President, 2001 - present, Beirut Marathon Association.
- President, 1997 - 2000, Lebanese Ladies Society.
Honorary office and memberships
- Member of World President Organization (WPO), 2002 - present.
- Member of Osteoporosis Society, 2000 – 2001.
- Member of the Young President Organization (YPO), 1997 – 2000.
- Organized and managed 16 major international races , 2018
- Organized grassroots free running programs , 2014
- Organized and managed an annual women’s race since 2013
Awards and Distinctions
- Honorary PHD from LAU- 2013
- Received the National Order of the Cedar from PP Michel Sleiman, 2013
- Honorary Doctorate from Cardiff Met university- 2018
- keynote speaker at the Global Risk Forum in Davos Switzerland, 2016
- Laureus Sport for Good Award (Abu Dhabi), 2011.
- Power of Sport Award (Lausanne), 2011.
- Woman of the Year Award from the Brazilian – Lebanese chamber of commerce & the Lebanese chamber of commerce, 2009.
- Achievers award from the Rotary Foundation of Rotary International (Paul Harris Fellow), 2007.
- Achievers Award from the Ministry of Tourism, 2007