Wafa’a Dikah Hamze
Who Is She
Consultant, Former Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs
Wafa’a Dikah Hamze
Contact information / Private
135191 - Chouran
821900 1 961
821900 1 961
730707 3 961
Contact information / Work
National Commission for Lebanese Women
Chahine Center, Damascus Road, Hazmieh
961 5 955101 & 961 5 955102
- Post Graduate Studies, Rural Extension and Participatory Rapid Appraisal, 1992, The International Agricultural Center, the Netherlands.
- Post Graduate Studies, Management of Programs, 1991, German Foundation for International Development, Germany.
- Master's of Science, Crop Production, 1988, American Univerdity of Beirut, Lebanon.
- Bachelor of Science and Engineering diploma, General Agriculture, 1986, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
- Lebanese Baccalaureate II, 1981, Evangelical School of Zahle, Lebanon.
Areas of expertise
- Agriculture & Rural Development
- Food Security
- Women's Rights
- Women Economic and Political Empowerment
- Senior Agricultural Specialist and Independent Consultant in rural development, and on SDG 2030 with UN Women and League of Arab States, 2016.
- Regional Adviser for Gender Equality and Women Advancement, at UN-ESCWA ,2013-2015.
- Head of the Lebanese delegation, 2009, meeting of the second non-aligned movement First ladies Summit on Food Security and Women Access to Resources
- Head of the Lebanese delegation, 2007, Italian Forum for Women Entrepreneurs.
- Head of the Lebanese delegation, 2008, study tour on Rural Development and Appraisal of Rural territories in Apuglia Region, Italy.
- Consultant/Program Director to establish the National Observatory for Women in Agriculture and Rural Areas (NOWARA), 2007 - present, in cooperation with Italian and Lebanese Government.
- Consultant on the National Observatory for Women in Agriculture and Rural Areas Project (NOWARA), 2007 - present, Ministry of Agriculture, Lebanese government.
- Advisor for international cooperation, policy development, and gender issues, 2005 - present, Ministry of Agriculture, Lebanese government.
- Minister of State for Parliament Affairs, 2004 - 2005, Lebanese government.
- Coordinator: FAO programs and activities in Lebanon (2003 -2004); Italian Agriculture Cooperation Programs in Lebanon (2002 - 2004); International Office of Vine and Vineyards (2001 - 2004).
- Director,1996 - 2004, Agro-industry and Food Department, Ministry of Agriculture.
- Instructor, 1991 - 1996 & 2009 - present, Lebanese University and American University of Beirut.
- Consultant and expert, 1990 - present, rural development and participation, planning and coordination, training, gender mainstreaming, & agro food and nutrition policies.
- Formerly she held several Senior level official responsibilities in the Lebanese public sector, and in international and regional programs including Italian Cooperation, EU , IFAD and World Bank.
Honorary office and memberships
- Board Member of the International Center for Advanced Mediterranean Agronomic Studies (CIHEAM).
- Member of Administrative Board of the United Nations National Agency, February 2010 - present.
- Founding member of the National Commission for Lebanese Women, and Member of the elected Executive Board 1996-2005, 2008 - present.
- Member of FAO National Committee for the Establishment of the Lebanese National Alliance to Fight Poverty and Hunger, 2008 - 2009.
- Vice Chair of the International Olive Oil Council, 2009 – present.
- Lebanon Representative to FAO Council, 2006 - 2008.
- Elected Member of FAO Program Committee (Rome) representing the Near East Region, 2004 - 2005.
- Near East Representative to the 91st, 92nd, 93rd, and 94th FAO Program Committee sessions, 2004 - 2005.
- Member of Arab Society for Plant Protection, 1996 - present.
- National Focal Point for the World Food Summit, 1996 - 2004.
- Founding member of the National Commission for Lebanese Women, 1996 - 1998.
- Member of the National Committee for the Preparation to the UN Fourth World Conference on Women in Beijing, 1994.
- Member of the Order of Engineers, 1990 - present.
- Member of the Family Planning Association of Lebanon, 1987 - present.
- Dikah Hamze, W. (2007). The role of Lebanese women in national economy - an entrepreneurial dimension. Paper presented at the Italian Forum for Women Entrepreneurs in Mediterranean Middle East and Arab Gulf Countries, 5 - 6 March.
- Dikah Hamze, W. (2003). Fruits and vegetables agro industry in Lebanon. Synthetic review presented to CIHEAM, IAMB.
- Dikah Hamze, W. (1997). Women in agricultural development : A force for change. Al-Raida, XV(79).
- Dikah Hamze, W. (2002). Rural institutions and participatory experiences in North Beqaa. Study presented to FAO.
- Contributed to establishing the Arab Women Organization under the umbrella of the League of Arab States.
- A prominent activist for women’s rights and gender equality in Lebanon and the Arab Region, leading the National Coalition “Women for Politics”.
- Establishing and launching the National Observatory for Women in Agriculture and Rural Areas (NOWARA), November 2008 - present.
- Attending the high-level meeting on Investing for Food Security in a Global Economyorganized by FAO and the OECD, 2009.
- Member of Lebanese Team entrusted with preparing Lebanon's paper for the World Food Security Summit, 2009.
- Main speaker on the occasion of International Women Day at the Chamber of Commerce in Bari (Italy), 2008.
- Lebanon official representative at the International Olive Council, 2002 - 2005.
- Member of the Drafting Committee to set the Arab Woman Organization rules and procedures, 2002.
- Planning, program design, and implementation including teaching and training techniques in specialized topics covering agriculture, food processing, rural development, extension, environment …etc, for more than 25 training programs, workshops and conferences, 1991 - present.
- Author and co-author of more than 20 publications, communications, articles in local newspapers, national reports, and studies.
- Official delegate and head of delegation to many UN, International and Regional Conferences, Summits and Seminars.
Exhibitions, lectures & performances:
- Women in Decision Making Positions, lecture at a seminar by the Working Women League, 2009.
- Women Facing the Impact of the World Economic Crisis on Development in Lebanon,lecture during a workshop organized by the United Nations Population Fund, 2009.
- Agriculture in Lebanon: Performance and Development, lecture at seminar organized by the American University of Science and Technology, 2008.
- International lecturer on the occasion of World Rural Women Day organized by the Italian Ministry of Agriculture Policies, Fisheries, and Forestry, November 2006.
- Lecturer on the Arab Conference on Human Rights - Women Rights organized by the Ministry of Human Rights in Yemen, 2006.
Newspaper articles and columns:
- Dikah Hamze, W. (2009, March 8). Al-mar`a allubnaniya fi mawaqe' al-qarar [Lebanese women in decision making positions]. An-Nahar.
Awards and Distinctions
- Appreciation, Chamber of Commerce, Apulia Region, Italy, 2008.
- Appreciation Award, Italian Ministry of Agriculture, Rome 2006.
- Medal of Lebanese Women Council, 2005.
- Medal from the American University of Beirut, 2004.
- The FAO World Food Day Medal (Medal of Matsoyo Yamamoto) from the Minister of Agriculture, 1992.