Who Is She
What I have done for Lebanon
Through my work as a professional architect I tried to glorify our vernacular architecture by using then same architectural vocabulary in a modern way, by using the local construction materials , by respecting the nature as well as the people living in the vicinity of my constructions, by teaching the workers, -whether masons, blacksmiths, stone carvers or carpenters – to preserve and respect the intrinsic qualities of the materials they work with. As a teacher of architectural design, my aim was sharing with my students as well as all the trainees in my office my passion for high quality architectural design respectful of its future users.
Contact information / Work
- Master of Science, Urban Planning, 1977, Columbia University, United States of America.
- Bachelor degree, Architecture, 1974, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
- First year Engineering, 1969, Saint-Joseph University, Lebanon.
- French and Lebanese Baccalaureates, 1968, Grand Lycee, Lebanon.
Areas of expertise
- Construction Management
- Urban Design
- Urban Planning
- Director, Architect and Urban Planner, 1981 - present.
- Part time teacher at the American University of Beirut, 2007-2017, Beirut.
- Consulting Architect for large scale projects, 1988 - 1991, Abu Dhabi.
- Consulting Architect for large scale projects, 1987, Saudi Arabia and London.
- Consulting Architect for large scale projects, 1981, Saudi Arabia and Milano.
- Freelance Architect and Urban Planner, 1978 - 1981, Lebanon.
Honorary office and memberships
- Member of the Order of Engineers & Architects, 1975 - present.
- Establishing and managing an architectural firm in Beirut, 1981 - present.
- Establishing and managing an architectural firm in Abu Dhabi, 1990 - 1996.
- Architectural projects that entail building apartment buildings, chalets, cottages, municipality halls, an old people's house, a school, offices, and villas, as well as reconstruction and restoration.
- December 2017, Presentation of Individual Women Achievements at the Women Conference at the Order of Engineers in Beirut.
- November 2013, Presentations on Beirut by several architects at the American Institute of Architects, New York
- Two lectures at two exhibitions organized by Women Who Build (La Mujer Construye) in December 2002 (Lebanon) and July 2007 (Utrecht).
- A lecture during the seminar on the Science and Technology and Conservation of the World Heritage at the Beirut Arab University in April 1998.
Awards and Distinctions
- Fulbright scholar, 1974 - 1976.
- Distinguished Alumnus Award from the Faculty of Engineering & Architecture at the American University of Beirut, 2007.