Samira Ibrahim Korfali
Who Is She
What I have done for Lebanon
Estimated the transport of toxic metals from water to soil and sediment; stressing what renders metals to be toxic is not its total content but speciation forms whether in soil or water. Due to our calcareous soils, these toxic metals will be incorporated in soils and/or sediments and in water speciation as carbonate complexes lowering the toxic metal effects. To render less metal toxicity in Lebanese water bodies’ acid drainage or waste should be banned. Also the risk assessment of phthalate contaminates in children’s toys were estimated. Proposing the banning of manufactured clays to children and substituting it by moulding food products, to avoid heath risk factors.
Contact information / Private
Contact information / Work
- Doctorate degree, Environmental Geochemistry, 1999, Bradford University, United Kingdom.
- Master's degree, Physical Analytical Chemistry, 1974, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
- Bachelor degree, Chemistry, 1971, Lebanese American University [previously Beirut College for Women], Lebanon.
Areas of expertise
- Environmental Chemistry
- Metal Sediment Water Interaction
- Water Assessment
- Noise Pollution
- Metal Speciation
- Science and Technology
- Toxic metals in food and children products
- Chairperson of the Natural Science Department, 2006 - 2010, Lebanese American University.
- Associate Professor, 1978 - present, , Chemistry Department, Lebanese American University.
- Chemistry Instructor, 1982 - 1983, Hariri Nursing School-Kfrafalos.
- Chemistry Instructor , 1977, Lebanese University, Education Department
- Research Assistant, 1974 - 1975, Environmental Science Department/School of Public Health, American University of Beirut.
Honorary office and memberships
- Board member of Saint-Lucca School of special needs (Lebanon), 2013-present.
- Board member of the Society for Advancement of Science and Technology in the Arab World (SASTA) - 2009-2014, currently member to present.
- Member of the European Water Resources Association, 2009 - present.
- Member of International Medical Geology Association (IMGA) -2006-present.
- Member of the Lebanese Association for the Advancement of Science, 2008 - present.
- Member of the Lebanese Graduates of British Universities, 2000 - present.(Currently Vice president).
- Member of the Society of Environmental Geochemistry and Health – European Branch, 1997 - present.
- Korfali, S. Karake, H. (2018) Speciation of metals in soils and water: risk assessment. Environmental process, 5, 101-125.
- Korfali, S.I. (2012). Total and speciated metals and metal scales in domestic water: Impact of metallic water distribution system, Journal of Environmental Science and Engineering, A 1 732-749
- Korfali, S.I., Jurdi, M. (2011) Suitability of Surface Water for Domestic Water Use: Al -Awali River Case Study, EWRA, European Water, 35, 3-12
- Korfali, S.I., Abou Hamdan, W. (2013). Essential and toxic metals in Lebanese marketed canned food: Impact of metal cans, Journal of Food Research, 2 (1), 19-30.
- Korfali, S., Jurdi, M. (2009). Provision of safe domestic water for the promotion and protection of public health: A case study of Beirut, Lebanon. Environmental Geochemistry and Health, 31, 283–295, DOI 10.1007/S10653-008-9218-1.
- Korfali, S, Jurdi, M, Davies, B.E. . (2006). Variation of metals in bed sediments of Qaraaoun Reservoir, Lebanon. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 151, 307-319.
- Korfali, S. Davies, B.E. (2005). Seasonal variation of trace metal chemical forms in bed sediments of a karstic river in Lebanon: implications for self- purification. Environmental Geochemistry and Health, 27, 385-395.
- Korfali, S., Massoud, M. (2003). Assessment of community noise problem in Greater Beirut Area, Lebanon. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 84, 203-218.
- Korfali, S. (1994). Chemistry basic concepts. Beirut, Lebanon : Le Pointier.
- Korfali, S.I. Hawi, T., Mroueh, H. (2013). Evaluation of Heavy metals content in dietary supplements in Lebanon, Chemistry Central Journal, 7:10
- Korfali, S.I., Mroueh, M., Al-Zein, M, Salem, R. (2013). Metal concentration in commonly used medicinal herbs and infusion by Lebanese population: Health Impact, Journal of Food Research, 2 (2), 70-82.
- Korfali, S.I., Sabra, R., Jurdi, M., Taleb, R. (2013). Assessment of Toxic Metals and Phthalates in Children’s Toys and Clays. Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 65, 368–381.
- Hariri, E., Abboud, M.I., Demirdjian, S., Korfali, S., Mroueh, M., Taleb, I. (2015). Carcinogenic and neurotoxic risks of acrylamide and heavy metals from potato and corn chips consumed by the Lebanese population. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, 42, 91-97.
- Wazne, M, Korfali, S. (2016) Spatial and temporal assessment of metal pollution in the sediments of the Qaraoun Reservoir, Lebanon. Environmental Science and Pollution Research , 23 (8) , 7603- 7614
- de Namor, A., Al Hakawati, N. , Abou Hamdan, W., Soualhi, R., Korfali, S., Valiente, L. (2017) Calixpyrrole for the removal of arsenic (III) and arsenic (V) form water. Journal of Hazardous Materials., 326, 61- 68
- Discussion leader of Role Model Series: Scientist, the World Economic Forum (WEF) for the sessions on Science and Technology, 2009.
- Received Research Acknowledgment from PubMed International Journal Publishers, 2008.
Awards and Distinctions
- Said Akl Prize, 2001.