Who Is She
What I have done for Lebanon
With a career spanning more than 25 years, Bdeir is appointed as a Member of the Global Advisory Board of Technology for MasterCard Worldwide in November 2019 after being the first Arab woman to become a member of the Board of Directors of MasterCard Worldwide for the Middle East & Africa region (2000 till 2017). She pioneered the introduction of card issuing / acquiring business in Lebanon in 1994 and played a key role in introducing and developing Merchant / ATM & e-commerce business in the Lebanese market, and was the first to introduce the concept of Internet Card while working as Business Director in Fransabank.
In 2004, she moved to Bank Audi, Bdeir’s achievements include but are not limited to: launching “Tap2Pay”, a breakthrough in NFC payments technology, which went on to win the Best Contactless Solution Award. Furthermore, Bdeir launched the “Cloud Pay Platform”, a converged e-wallet that embraces the future of digital payment through HCE technology. Bdeir established E-Gallery, the first innovation center showing future payment trends and the latest updates in payment technology.
In 2017, Bdeir established the “Randa Bdeir Leadership Award” in Recognition of Outstanding Leadership in Supporting the Careers of Women.
Since 2018 till this date Bdeir occupies the position of Deputy General Manager & Group Head of E-payment Solutions and Card Technology chasing new challenges.
Contact information / Private
Contact information / Work
- Master degree, Money and Banking, 1991, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
- Bachelor degree, Business Administration, 1980, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
- Executive Course: Corporate Entrepreneurship in driving Innovation and New ventures, 2017, Stanford University, California - USA
- Executive Course: Strategy & Organization, 2014, Stanford University, California - USA
- Executive course, Advanced Negotiations & Deal Making Strategies, 2005, Stanford University, Dubai.
- Executive course: Strategic Use of Information Technology Program, 2004, Stanford University, California - USA
- Executive course: Developing and Managing a Successful Technology and Product Strategy, 2003, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) , California - USA
- Executive course: Marketing Management Program, 1997, Stanford University, California - USA
Areas of expertise
- Electronic Payment & Electronic Banking
- Card Business / Card Technology & Management
- Strategic Planning & Leadership
- Marketing Strategies
- Negotiation Persuasion and Communication
- Loyalty Program Creation & Management
- E-commerce business
- Deputy General Manager & Group Head of E-Payment Solutions & Card Technology, 2018-Present – Credit Libanais sal.
- Advisor to Group CEO in Marketing & Electronic Payments, 2017 – 2018, Bank Audi - Audi Saradar Group sal.
- Group Head of Electronic Banking & Card Services, 2004- 2016, Bank Audi - Audi Saradar Group sal.
- Marketing & Business Development Director, 1992 - 2003, Fransabank.
Honorary office and memberships
- Member of the Global Advisory Board for Technology (MasterCard Worldwide), 2019 – Present
- Member of the Worldwide Alumni Association of the American University of Beirut (WAAAUB), 2019 – Present
- Member of the Board of Directors of Master Card Worldwide (South Asia, MEA & Africa), 2000 - 2018
- Member of the Worldwide Alumni Association of the AUB (WWAAUB), 2007 - 2008.
- Member of the Board of Directors of IPN (Interbank Payment Network) Company, 1997 - present.
- Member of the Board of Directors of CCM (Credit Card Management), 1997 - 2003.
- Member of the Advisor Committee of Visa Incorporated, 1996 - 1999.
- Member of BoD | Worldwide Alumni Association of AUB BoD (WAAUB), 2015.
- Member of BoD | International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), 2015.
- Member of BoD | World Union of Arab Banks, 2015.
- Board of Directors Member | Net Commerce, 1998-2004.
- Bdeir, R. (2003). Credit scoring project: Study on implementing a credit scoring program to be used for consumer loans and credit cards. [Unpublished manuscript].
- Bdeir, R. (2001). Time management study. [Unpublished manuscript].
- Bdeir, R. (1999). Electronic banking. [Unpublished manuscript].
- Bdeir, R. (1997). Marketing management. [Unpublished manuscript].
- One of the most important study that Bdeir did at the American University of Beirut and was published in Al Nahar Newspaper in 1993 titled Lebanese internal public debt. “Crowding out phenomena”. This study analyzed the Lebanese public debt at that time (1993) and its effect on creating the Crowding out Phenomena where the government absorbs all the liquidity of the country to finance its expenses. Thus leaving the private sector in shortage of access to finance.
- Appointed as a member of the Global Advisory Board for Technology, 2019
First Arab woman in the Board of Directors of MasterCard, 2000.
- Introducing and developing the Issuing & Acquiring Business in Lebanon: Issuance of the first debit/ credit card and developing the merchant POS/ATM network in Lebanon, 1993.
- Introducing and developing the Issuing & Acquiring Business in Syria: Issuance of the first debit / credit card and developing the merchant POS/ATM network in Syria, 2003.
- Nominated among the top 70 Arab Women for the year 2008 by Sayidati Magazine.
- Inventing the internet MasterCard card, 1997.
- Introducing the e-commerce business in Lebanon, 2000.
·“Scaling the payments landscape: how to add value and stand among your peers?” - Retail Banking Summit in Lebanon” by Efma – July 2019 (Beirut, Lebanon)
· “How Global trends are shaping the Digital ecosystem” - Financial Innovation Summit at The Hilton Doha – April 2019 (Doha, Qatar)
·“Women Entrepreneurs in Lebanese Market” at Notre Dame University - February, 2018 (Beirut, Lebanon)
·“Smart Phone Payments Innovation” at Banking Tech Conference by Banking Tech - February, 2018 (Cairo, Egypt)
·“Smartphone – Based Contactless payment Innovation” by Alpha One events - January, 2017 (Dubai)
·“Women Empowerment in the Finance Sector” by World Union of Arab Bankers - May, 2017 (Beirut – Adnan Kassar, Lebanon)
·“Women's day: Discussion on Pioneer Women” by Participating in Panel on Pioneer Arab Women / ESCWA - March, 2017 (Beirut, Lebanon)
·“Cyber Crimes Risks and tools to fight it” by General Union of Arab Chambers - February, 2016 (Beirut, Lebanon)
·“Mobile & Payments: Catching up with new paradigms and cashing in on new revenue streams” at Retail Banking Summit by Efma – 2016 (Beirut, Lebanon)
·“Financial Technology, Mobile Payment & Consumer protection” at World Union of Arab Bankers – 2016 (Beirut, Lebanon)
Awards and Distinctions
- First Lady Nomination for Cards Business, Forbes Magazine, MENA, 2010
- First Arab Woman, MasterCard Board of Directors (BoD), 1997
- Special Recognition for the “Invention of the 1st Internet Card” from MasterCard, 1997.
- Establishment of Randa Bdeir Leadership award in recognition of outstanding leadership in supporting the careers of women, 2017.
- Best Arab Woman Contributor to Credit Card Payment System in Arab World, Arab Banking Conference, 2015.
- Best Use of Innovative Technology for Gift Card Vending Machine, MasterCard Innovation Forum, 2015.
- Best Mobile Payment Award for Innovation: Tap2Pay NFC Mobile Payment, MasterCard Worldwide, 2014.
- Best Contactless Solution Award, Smart Card & Awards, 2013.
- Innovative Achievement Award for Banking Industry in the Arab World, Tatweej Academy, 2012.
- MasterCard Champion Award for the Asia, Pacific, Middle East & Africa, MasterCard International, 2011.