Ola Mohammad Sidani
Who Is She
What I have done for Lebanon
When it is Lebanon, it is passion and commitment. In my capacity, I am entrusted to represent Lebanon in high-level regional and international forums. I aim to ensure that Lebanon’s interests are well preserved. Being focal point for Sustainable Development Goals (at UNDP project-OPCM), I played a major role in coordinating national efforts towards Lebanon presenting its first SDGs-VNR report at the United Nations (HLPF-July2018). There, I was invited as a guest speaker to various meetings and VNR-labs, sharing Lebanon’s experience with the world. I act to reflect and strengthen the image of the successful Lebanese woman in international arena.
Contact information / Work
- Master's Degree, Economics, 2003-2005, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
- Bachelor's Degree, Economics, 2000-2003, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
- Minor in Public Administration, 2000-2003, American University of Beirut, Lebanon
Areas of expertise
- Development Economics
- UN Agenda 2030 and SDGs
- Regional Integration
- Trade and Transport
- Public Administration Reform
- Economic Officer, 2010-present, Presidency of the Council of Ministers, United Nations Development Program, Lebanon.
- Economic Researcher, 2007-2010, General Union of Chambers of Commerce, Industry and Agriculture for Arab Countries (UAC).
Honorary office and memberships
- Alumni member at the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations, 2013-present.
- Member of the Lebanese Economic Association, 2007-present.
- Founding member of the Hariri High School II Alumni Association, 2004-present.
- Sidani, O. (2009). Middle East trade and road transport survey 2009.Istanbul: The International Road Transport Union and the Arab Union of Land Transport.
- Sidani, O. & Dimashkieh Serhal, M. (2009). A private sector vision for Arab economic integration. Paper presented at the Kuwait Arab Economic Summit.
- Sidani, O. (2009, June). Ta'thir al-'azma al-maliya al-‘alamiya ‘ala al-sina‘a al-‘arabiya [The impact of the global financial crisis on the Arab industry]. Al-Oumran Al-Arabi, 101, 26-33.
- Sidani, O. (2008, August-September). Qita‘ al-naqil fi mintaqat al-tijara al-arabiya al-kubra [The transport sector in the greater Arab trade zone]. Al-Oumran Al-Arabi, 92, 132-140.
- Speaker at various UN forums and workshops, in New York, Geneva and Beirut on Lebanon’s experience towards United Nations Agenda 2030 and Sustainable Development Goals.
- Guest Speaker on “Lebanon’s first Voluntary National Review (VNR) Perspectives and Future Outlooks”, at the 8th CSR Lebanon Forum: “SDGs and Millennials: Leaders of Sustainability”, organized by CSR Lebanon, Beirut, 2018.
- Guest Speaker on "Young Women Leaders and Why They Matter" presented at the "Young Arab Women Leaders: The Voice of the Future" conference, organized by the Arab International Woman's Forum, the PricewaterhouseCoopers (PWC) and the Institute for Women's Studies in the Arab World, Lebanese American University, Beirut, 2012.
- Guest Speaker on "Integrating Intellectual Property in Business from Private Sector Perspective" presented during the Arab Regional Symposium on the Strategic Use of Intellectual Property in Business, League of Arab States, Cairo, 2010.
- Guest Speaker, "Impact of the Global Financial and Economic Crisis on External Trade in Arab Countries", expert group meeting to prepare Arab countries for the World Trade Organization 7th ministerial meeting, organized by UN-ESCWA, Beirut, 2009.
- Guest Speaker, "Trade Policies in Arab Countries: Towards an Active Sector Partnership to Fulfill Aspirations of Development", expert group meeting on Trade Policy trends in ESCWA member countries and their implications on trade and economic performance, Beirut, 2008.
Awards and Distinctions
- Selected among 12 Arab young leaders for the Fellowship program to build bridges between cultures and societies through dialogue, by the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (the program included discussions and meetings with officials at the UN headquarters in New York, and with senior administrators in Washington, Berlin, Paris and Brussels-including both EU and NATO-covering opportunities and challenges governing East-West relations), 2013.
- Selected on the Dean's honor list, Faculty of Arts and Sciences at the American University of Beirut, 2003.