Who Is She
Contact information / Private
Amine Moukadim Str., Fares Bldg., 3rd floor
804062 3 961
Personal email address 2:
Contact information / Work
Public Health Department
Faculty of Health Sciences
University of Balamand - Main Campus
Ext 5221- 931952 6 961
429991 6 961
- Doctorate degree, on going till 2014, Faculty of Management and Governance, University of Twente, Netherlands.
- Master's degree, International Affairs, 2008, Lebanese American University, Lebanon.
- Bachelor degree, Archeology, 1999, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
- Baccalaureate degree (Philosophy), 1995, International School (Koura), Lebanon.
Areas of expertise
- Public Health
- Environmental studies
- Social Development
- Empowering Youth, Women & Children
- Democracy & Good Governance
- Gender Mainstreaming
- Promoting Dialogue
- Assistant Professor, November 2014- till now, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Balamand, Lebanon.
- Public Health Officer, March - July 2014, World Health Organization (WHO), Lebanon.
- Administrative Director, 2004 - present, Center for the Middle- Eastern Strategic Studies (CESMO).
- Facilitator at the project titled “Citizen Lebanon”, 2008 - 2010, National Democratic Institute(NDI) & CESMO.
- Trainer, “Engaging Youth through Community Development” project, 2009, CESMO & OTI.
- Project Assistant, “Promote the Rights of Foreign Workers in Lebanon” project, 2007 - 2009, CESMO and OMSAR.
- Trainer, "Effective Communication skills" workshop, 2008, Educational and Consulting Center(ECC) in Riyadh & CESMO.
- Trainer, "Communication Skills and Teamwork" workshop, 2007, the Irish Embassy in Riyadh & CESMO (the workshop was in English Language).
- Project Assistant, "Restoring Citizens' Involvement in Local Public Affairs" project, 2007 - 2008, CESMO.
- Teacher, "Learning Resource Techniques" course, 2005-2007, Lebanese American University (LAU), Byblos.
- Project Assistant and trainer, “Workers' Rights" project, 2005, CESMO and AMIDEAST.
Honorary office and memberships
- Member in LACTICA, an NGO that advocate for Breastfeeding, July 2017 till now
- Member in MEPI- LAA (Lebanese Alumni Association), 2010 till now
- Member in the LAU alumni (Lebanese American University), 2008 till now
- Member of the organization Asdika` al-Kheir in Tripoli, 2007 - 2010.
- Member in United Nation Volunteer (UNV) organization, 2004.
- Member of Junior Achievement Lebanon Association (Injaz Lebanon), 2003 - 2006.
- Member of the (American university of Beirut) alumnic association, 1999 - present.
- Regional coordinator for Junior Achievement Lebanon Association (Injaz Lebanon) in North Lebanon, 1999 - present.
- Member of the Environment Protection Committee, 1998 - present.
Refereed Journal Articles
- Abbas, N. H., van der Molen, I., Nader, M. R., & Lovett, J. C. (2015). Citizens’ perceptions of trust relationships in the environmental management process in North Lebanon. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, 58(9), 1511-1529
- Abbas, N. H., van der Molen, I., Nader, M. R., and Lovett, J. C. (2014). “Trust and Cooperation relations in Environmental Management of Lebanon”. European Scientific Journal, 10(10).
- Abbas, N.H., et al. (2013). "Perceptions from the Public and Private Sector on Trust and Cooperation in the Field of Environmental Management in Lebanon." Academic Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies 2(8): 571-581.
ii). Peer-Reviewed Conference Papers
- Abbas, N. H. et al. (2013). “Perceptions from the Public and Private Sector on Trust and Cooperation in the Field of Environmental Management in Lebanon”. Paper published in the ICHSS Conference’s Proceeding, Rome, 2013.
- Abbas, N. H., Nader, M. R., van der Molen, I., and Lovett, J. C. (2013). “Opportunity structure provided by Trust and Cooperation relations: Case Study of Environmental Management in Lebanon”. Paper published in the Proceeding of the Political Science in the 21st Century Conference, Turkey, 2013
iii). Books/ Book Chapters
- Abbas, N. (2015). Resilience at the Municipal and Communal Level- The Significance of Trust and Cooperation in Environmental Management: A Case Study of Al Fayhaa Union. In van del Molen, I and Stel, N (Eds.). Conflict and Environment in North Lebanon: Vulnerability and resilience from multi-disciplinary perspective. Netherlands: University of Twente.
- Abbas, N. H. (2014). The impact of trust relationships on environmental management in North Lebanon. University of Twente.
- Abbas, N. (2008). The Islamist groups in Tripoli: Its reality, effects and connections. MA thesis in International Affairs, Lebanese American University.
- Participated in many trainings, preparing training materials, consulting & research studies, 2005 - 2018.
- Invited as a Guest Lecturer in a joint lecture about “Mapping vulnerabilities and Resilience in North Lebanon” hosted by the Center for Gender Equality and Women Empowerment in the Amrita University in Kerala, India; March 30, 2017 (videoconferencing session).
- Invited to BLOM Career Orientation Day as a guest speaker to cover Public Health as a profession; March 18, 2017; UOB, Kurah Campus.
- Invited to participated in the MOOC course session debate about “Environment and conflict in Lebanon” with University of Leeds, UK; 26 August, 2015.
- Presented a research titled “Factors affecting and affected by solid waste management using the fuzzy cognitive mapping approach” in the 2nd Research Day, Faculty of Health Sciences –UOB, June 2018, University of Balamand.
- Presented a presentation titled “Using Edpuzzle as a Teaching Tool” in the First Faculty Professional Development Day for University of Balamand Faculty, February 2, 2018, University of Balamand.
- Presented a paper titled “Factors Affecting and affected by solid waste management using the fuzzy cognitive mapping approach: Case study of Al-Fayhaa Union, Lebanon” in the LAAS 24th conference, 25 April, 2018.
- Presented a paper titled “Analyzing linkages between trust and solid waste management using the fuzzy cognitive mapping approach: Case study of Al-Fayhaa Union, Lebanon” in the Solutions for a Better Life: World Future Leaders Conference, 21-25 February 2016, University of Sharjah, UAE.
- Presented a paper titled “Trust and Cooperation relations in environmental management of Lebanon” in the 1st Mediterranean Interdisciplinary Forum on Social Sciences and Humanities (MIFS) 2014, 23-26 April 2014, Beirut, Lebanon.
- Presented a paper titled “Armed Conflict and Human Behavior: A case study of the Environmental Management Process in North Lebanon”, in the Identity and Conflict Conference, 20-22 March, 2014, Balamand University, Lebanon.
- Presented a paper titled “Opportunity structure provided by trust & Cooperation relations: Case Study of Environmental management in Lebanon”, in the Political Science in the 21st Century Conference, 31 October-2 November, 2013, Turkey.
- Presented a paper titled: “Perceptions from the Public and Private Sector on Trust and Cooperation in the field of Environmental Management in Lebanon”, in the 3° International Conference on Human and Social Sciences (ICHSS), 20-22 September 2013, Italy.
- Presented a paper titled “Opportunity structure provided by trust & Cooperation relations: Case Study of Environmental management in Lebanon”, in CERES Summer School, 24-25 June 2013, Netherlands.
Awards and Distinctions
- Participated in a morning talk show on MTV about “Infant and Young Child Feeding and the Importance of Early Initiation of Breast Feeding”( September 6, 2018)
- Invited to participate in the “Sit Al Dunya” program on Tele Liban with Mrs. Vicky Haddad on 31 October 2015. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoBOo_NPO2Q&feature=player_embedded
- Selected to be among 14 participants to attend the International Visitor Leadership Program titled "Grassroots Democracy", sponsored by United States Department of State, Bureau of Education and Cultural Affairs, United States (Washington, New Hampshire, New Orleans, Seattle), 2007.