Who Is She
University Lecturer, Researcher, Consultant, Expert and Trainer
What I have done for Lebanon
As a scout, I always volunteered in activities to support the underprivileged families. After completing my Doctorate studies, I became responsible for 2 programs at an NGO where we support the underprivileged distinguished students to pursue their education through scholarships or interest free loans. I play a role model for these young people and provide them with guidance to pursue their education. As an environmentalist, I have published 3 field guides to the wild flowers of Lebanon to raise people's awareness on the beauty of our natural heritage. I have also worked on several projects to conserve Lebanon's biodiversity.
Contact information / Private
Burj Abi Haidar, Jaroudy Street, Arige Bldg.
439734 3 961
Personal web page 2:
- Doctorate degree, Biodiversity Conservation and Management, 2009-2013, University of Reading, United Kingdom.
- Postgraduate diploma, Biodiversity Conservation and Management, 2001-2006, University of London, United Kingdom.
- Bachelor's degree (with distinction), Interior Design, 1997-2001, Lebanese American University, Lebanon.
Areas of expertise
- Biodiversity Conservation
- Environmental Science
- Training in proposal writing
- Instructor, January 2015-present, Saint Joseph University.
- Instructor, January 2016-present, Modern University for Business and Sciences
- Co-trainer and regional expert, 2015-present, DIES ProGRANT Proposal Writing for Research Grants.
- Environmental Consultant, March 2015-present, Earth Link and Advanced Resources Development (ELARD).
- Ecological expert, December 2018, Eco-consulting.
- Environmental Consultant, 2010-2012, Nature Conservation Center at the American University of Beirut (AUB NCC).
- Website Coordinator and Environmental Consultant, January 2003-December 2003, Green Line NGO.
Honorary office and memberships
- Member of the Society for Conservation Biology, 2013-2016.
- Commission Member of the International Union for Conservation of Nature/Species Survival Commission (IUCN SSC), Freshwater Plant Specialist Group, 2013-present.
- Commission Member of the International Union for Conservation of Nature/Species Survival Commission (IUCN SSC), Medicinal Plant Specialist Group, 2013-present.
- Nisrine Machaka-Houri, Ahmad Houri, Khouzama M. Knio & Duncan B. Westbury. (2018). Ecological interactions of the sexually deceptive orchid Orchis galilaea. Journal of Plant Interactions, 13(1), 315-320. DOI: 10.1080/17429145.2018.1478005.
- Machaka-Houri, N. (2016). [Review of the book Plant Ecology in the Middle East. By A. Hegazy & J. Lovett-Doust]. The Quarterly Review of Biology 91(4), 519. DOI: 10.1086/689526
- Machaka-Houri, N. (2014). Wild flowers of Lebanon with special focus on key biodiversity areas. Beirut: Author.
- Machaka-Houri, N. (2001). Photographic guide to wild flowers of Lebanon. Beirut: Author.
- Machaka-Houri, N. (2008). Photographic guide to wild flowers of Lebanon (Vol. 2). Beirut: Author.
- Machaka-Houri, N. (2012). Impact of global warming on Eastern Mediterranean high altitude plan biodiversity. In R., Efe, M., Ozturk, & S., Ghazanfar (Eds.), Environment and ecology in the Mediterranean region (115-124). United Kingdom: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Machaka-Houri, N. (2012). Reproductive success of the rare endemic orchis galilaea (orchidaceae) in Lebanon. Turkish Journal of Botany, 36 (6), 677-682.
Exhibitions, lectures & performances:
- Speaker on “Change the Behavior Towards Encouraging Sustainable Use of Resources” at the Professional Development Conference, Bayader Aramoun, Lebanon, September 5th, 2018
- Speaker on “Research and its Importance in Education” at the Professional Development Conference, Bayader Aramoun, Lebanon, September 5th, 2018
- Speaker on “Mobile Green Hand Botanic Garden: tool for education and outreach” at the 6th Global Botanic Gardens Congress organized by BGCI and Conservatoire et Jardin Botaniques de Genève, Geneva, Switzerland, June 25-30, 2017.
- Speaker on "Wild Flowers of Lebanon: Fascination and Passion" at Libanoticum Fiesta, Jdeidet Al-Bouchrieh Al-Sed Municipality, Lebanon, Oct 5th, 2014.
- Speaker on "Biodiversity of Lebanon: 16 Years of Exploration and Conservation" at the University and Jepson Herbaria of the University of California, Berkeley, 2013.
- Speaker on "Biodiversity study presentation as a user-friendly method for the protection of Lebanese environment: The Role of Field Guides", at the 15th Science Meeting: Science in the 21st Century, American University of Beirut, Lebanon, 2008.
- Speaker on "Biodiversity Conservation in Lebanon: Case study on Orchids" at the First International Seminar of the Network of Botanic Gardens of the Mediterranean and the Middle East: The Andalusi Experience: An Example of Biodiversity Conservation, Granada, Spain, 2009.
- Speaker on "A Preliminary Assessment of the Conservation Status of the Genus Orchis (Orchidaceae) in Lebanon with Emphasis on the Biology of Orchis anatolica, O. galilaea, and O.syriaca at the International Symposium on Biology of Rare and Endemic Plant Species, Fethiye, Turkey, 2010.
- Speaker on the "Use of GIS for the Protection and Management of Endangered Coastal Plant Species" at the Arab and Mediterranean Regional Conference on Environmental Resources Monitoring and Management, Beirut, Lebanon, 2013.
Awards and Distinctions
- She was selected honoree of the "Women in Science Hall of Fame" by the U.S. Department of State for her accomplishments and efforts to serve as a role model for women and girls pursuing science education and careers, 2015.
- She received the Heckard Endowment Fund by The University and Jepson Herbaria of the University of California, Berkeley, for conducting research on the systematics of California's vascular plants, 2014.
- She received the "Women's Innovations in Science and Entrepreneurship (WISE)" Award by the U.S. Embassy in Lebanon for her outstanding performance in science and promising potential, 2016.