Nimat Asaad Kanaan
Who Is She
former Director General, Consultant
Nimat Asaad Kanaan
Contact information / Private
Hazmieh, Elias Hobeika Str., Mansour Bldg.
452453 5 961
457817 5 961
- Master's degree, Education Psychology and Sociology, 1964, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
- Bachelor degree, Education and Psychology, 1958, Beirut College for Women (currently Lebanese American University), Lebanon.
Areas of expertise
- Managing a Public Institution
- Social Welfare
- Strategic Planning
- Consultant to the Executive Secretary, 2005 - 2007, United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA).
- Director General, 1993 - 2005, Ministry of Social Affairs, Republic of Lebanon.
- Acting Director General, 1992, Ministry of Social Affairs, Republic of Lebanon.
- Deputy Director General, 1992, Ministry of Public Health, Republic of Lebanon.
- Acting Director General, 1972, Office of Social Development, Republic of Lebanon.
- Director, 1968, Social Services Department, Office of Social Development, Republic of Lebanon.
- Acting Director, 1967, Social Services Department, Office of Social Development, Republic of Lebanon.
- Head, 1963, Social Services Department, Office of Social Development, Republic of Lebanon.
Honorary office and memberships
- Member of the UN-ESCWA Experts Team of "Task Force on Lebanon", 2005 - 2007.
- Member of the ESCWA delegation to conferences about integrated social policy in Arab countries.
- Chairperson of the Executive Committee of the Higher Council of Childhood, 2004.
- Vice chairman of the National Committee for the International Year of the Family.
- Vice chairman of the Committee for Coordination and Follow-up of Population Projects.
- Chairperson of the Administrative Committee of the House of Artisans, 2003.
- Vice chairperson and National Director of the Multipurpose Survey and Unifem survey.
- Chairperson of the Committee for Health Services, Rehabilitation and Support Services for Disabled Persons, 2002.
- Chairperson of the National Committee for the Eradication of Illiteracy, 1995.
- Head of the Lebanese delegation to many national, regional, and international conferences, namely: Regional conference on population, Beirut, 2004; Meeting of working group preparing for the International Agreement for the Rights and Dignity of the Disabled Persons, New York, 2004; United Nations Conference on Volunteering, Geneva, 2001; Regional Preparatory Conference for the Social Development Summit, 1994; Preparatory Conference for the International Year of the Family, 1993.
- Member of the Lebanese delegation to: Conference of Arab Ministers of Social Affairs, Cairo, 1993 - 2005; Population Conference: Holland (1999), Cairo (2002); Social Development Summit Conference, Copenhagen, 1995; Conference on the Handicapped, Italy, 1992; First International Summit for Women, Mexico, 1975.
- Government Commissioner to the Public Institution of Housing.
- Founding Member and Member of many Non-governmental Organizations, namely: Anjar International Festivals; Imam al-Sadr Foundation; Social Movement Housing Development; Islamic Association for Guidance and Educational Specialization; Chronic Care Center; Unite Lebanon Youth (2010); Lebanon People and Earth (LANA) (2010).
- Member of President's Circle, Lebanese American University, 2010.
- Head of Development Committee, Lebanese American University, 2010.
- Asaad Kanaan, N. (2008). Social work in Lebanon: Its beginnings, development, and future scope (in Arabic). Beirut: Raidy Press.
- Asaad Kanaan, N. (1996). National plan proposal to face the problem of juvenile delinquency. Beirut: Ministry of Social Affairs.
- Asaad Kanaan, N. (1980). Social services in Lebanon. Beirut: Office of Social Development.
- Asaad Kanaan, N. (1977). Single mothers in Lebanon. Unpublished study. Beirut: Lebanese University.
- Asaad Kanaan, N. (1965). Social welfare in a social institution. Unpublished master's thesis. Beirut: American University of Beirut.
- First Lebanese woman appointed Director General in a public institution.
- Over forty years of experience in the field of social development in technical, managerial, and decision-making positions.
- Major role in developing the draft law for initiating the Ministry of Social Affairs and the decrees of mapping out this ministry.
- Major role in developing the draft law for initiating the national committee for disabled persons.
- Initiating the program for securing the needs and access to the rights of disabled persons.
- Suggesting a pioneer project to initiate a social development services center (Basic Services) which was conducted as a model to a plan which covered all Lebanon.
- Major role in developing the draft law no. 220/2000 for securing the needs and rights of disabled persons.
- Leading the first population census in Lebanon since 1932 in collaboration with UNFPA.
- Major role in suggesting and developing many national committees approved by the council of ministers like: Higher Council for Childhood; Eradication of Illiteracy; National Committee of Population; National Committee for Elderly People.
- Major role in developing the standards of services followed in social institutions by NGOs and the Ministry of Social Affairs.
- Listed in the Who's Who Guidebook published by American Biographical Institute, 1999 & 2005.
- Participating in developing the draft international convention to secure the rights and dignity of persons with disabilities in the United Nations Headquarters in New York.
- Supervising the making of more than 60 publications by the Ministry of Social Affairs (MOSA) (books, guides, brochures, newsletters, and posters), including joint publications with the United Nations Development Program (UNDP), United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), and United Nations Development Fund for Women (UNIFEM), about different topics including: Drug Abuse; Management of NGOs in Lebanon; Population and Housing; Reproductive Health; Socio-Economic Situation in Lebanon; Social Work; Voluntary Work; Youth .
- Attending workshops related to Ageing, Childhood, Development, Disability, Family, Illiteracy, Population, and Non-governmental Organizations, 1992 - 2005.
Exhibitions, lectures & performances:
- Giving lectures in different universities, training centers, workshops, and conferences, related to social work.
Awards and Distinctions
- Title of "Millenium Woman" by the British Biographical Institute, 1999.
- Cedars Medal of the Lebanese Republic (Commendore), 2005.
- Woman of the Year Award from the American Biographical Institute, 1999 & 2005.
- Said Akl Award, 2002
- Lebanese Government Medal of Labour of First Order, 1978.