Who Is She
Director, Researcher, Professor
What I have done for Lebanon
- Initiated a robust line of research in efficient building design where many engineers completed projects offering innovative solutions applicable to Lebanon climate.
- Bridged research and practice leading to the development of green engineering solutions in building systems.
- Is a founding member and coordinator of the first online diploma in green technology in energy, water and buildings. The program is offered jointly by three Universities in Lebanon and Egypt. The diploma presents a valuable outreach programs to architects and engineers implementing sustainable solutions and spreading awareness on green solutions.
- Established interdisciplinary educational programs related to energy and its socioeconomic and technical aspects.
Contact information / Work
American University of Beirut / Munib and Angela Masri Institute of Energy and Natural Resources
11-236, Riad El-Solh
350000 1 961 مقسّم: 3594
- Doctorate Degree, Mechanical Engineering, 1985, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States of America.
- Master's Degree, Mechanical Engineering, 1982, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States of America.
- Bachelor's Degree, Mechanical Engineering, 1980, Kuwait University, Kuwait.
Areas of expertise
- Mechanical Engineering
- Solar Energy
- Energy Efficiency of Thermal and Air Conditioning Systems
- Bioheat Modeling and Thermal Comfort
- Heat and Moisture Transport in Clothing
- Director of Munib and Angela Masri Institute of Energy and Natural Resources
- Associate Provost, August 2009-present, American University of Beirut, 2008-105
- Director of University Division of Interdisciplinary Programs, February 2013-2015, American University of Beirut.
- Qatar Chair of Energy Studies, October 2005-present, American University of Beirut.
- Professor, 1998-present, American University of Beirut.
- Acting Associate Provost, August 2008-July 2009, American University of Beirut.
- Chairperson of the Mechanical Engineering Department, 2001-2007, American University of Beirut.
Honorary office and memberships
- Editor of Energy Conversion and Management Journal
- Editor of Building and Environment Journal
- Member of the International Association for Energy Economics, January 2014-present.
- Member of the editorial board of the International Journal of Thermal Sciences, 2013-present.
- Member of the editorial board of the International Journal of Green Energy, 2004-present.
- Fellow member (and member since 1978) of the American Society of Mechanical Engineering (ASME), 2001-present
- Member of the American Solar Energy Society, 2000-present.
- Member of the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE), 1999-present.
- Member of the American Society of Heating, Ventilating and Air-conditioning (ASHRAE), 1995-present.
- Member of the Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA), 1991-present.
- Associate editor of the Journal of Applied Mechanics (ASME), 2005-2012.
- Fellow member of the Islamic World Academy of Science, 2007.
- D. Al Assaad, K. Ghali, N. Ghaddar. Effectiveness of intermittent personalized ventilation assisting a chilled ceiling for enhanced thermal comfort and acceptable indoor air quality. Building and Environment, 144, 2018: 9-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2018.08.005
- R. Seblany, N. Ghaddar, K. Ghali, N. Ismail, M. Simonetti, F. J. Virgone, A. Zoughaib. Humidity control in a space conditioned by liquid desiccant membrane cooled ceiling combined with displacement ventilation system. Applied Thermal Engineering. 144, 5 November 2018, Pages 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2018.08.036.
- F. Mneimneh, N. Ghaddar, K. Ghali, I. Omeis, C. Moussalem. An Altered Bioheat Model for Persons with Cervical Spinal Cord Injury. Journal of Thermal Biology. 77; 2018:96-110. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306456518302675?via%...
- R. Bashnak, M. Itani, N. Ghaddar, K. Ghali, D. A Performance of Hybrid PCM-Fan Vest with Deferred Fan Operation in View of Transient Heat Flows from Human Body in Hot Dry Environment. Building and Environment. 144; 2018: 334-348. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2018.08.054
- Ghaddar, N., Audeh, N., & Ghali, K. (2011). Optimized design and operation of solar-powered liquid desiccant system to supply building fresh water and cooling needs. Applied Energy, 88(11), 3726-3736.
- Ghaddar, N., Ghali, K., & Chehaitly, S. (2011). Assessing thermal comfort of active people in transitional spaces in presence of air movement. Energy and Buildings, 43 (10), 2832-2842.
- Ghaddar, N., Mossolly, M., & Ghali, K. (2009). Optimal control strategy for a multi-zone air conditioning system using genetic algorithm. Energy, 34(1), 58-66.
- Ghaddar, N., Salloum, M. & Ghali, K. (2007). A new transient bio-heat model of the human body and its integration to clothing models. International Journal of Thermal Sciences, 46 (4), 371-384.
- Ghaddar, N., Shehab, N., and Bdeir, F., (1997). Performance of solar absorption systems for space cooling in Beirut. Renewable Energy Journal, 10(4), 535-558.
- Establishing a continuing education degree program in green technologies with specialization in energy, water, and buildings in fall 2014-15. The program is joined between AUB, LAU and AUC.
- Developed a new interdisciplinary Master Degree program in Energy Studies which will be launched in Fall 2014-15.
- Led the development of the undergraduate Bachelor of Engineering Degree program in Chemical Engineering which started in 2009.
- Led the development of the Master of Engineering Degree Program in Applied Energy with focus on energy efficiency in building systems. It was part of a funded Tempus project.
- Organizing three ASHREA conferences on efficient building design in 2014, 16, and 18 in Lebanon with AHSHRAE Lebanese Chapter and ASHRAE.
Awards and Distinctions
- She was selected and listed by Muslim Science among the top-20 Most Influential Women in Science in the Islamic World described as the Shaper of Energy Future, Kuwait and Lebanon, 2014.
- She was ranked 59 among the 100 most powerful Arab women list for the year 2013 compiled by Arabian Business, a Dubai-based English-language weekly magazine, 2014.
- Received the Distinguished Scholar Medal and Certificate for Research Excellence in Energy Efficiency in Heating and Cooling Systems within the Framework of the Golden Jubilee of the Lebanese National Council for Scientific Research, Beirut, Lebanon, June 2012.
- Received the American Society for Heating Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineers ASHRAE 2008 POSTER PRESENTATION AWARD for the article: "Ghaddar, N., Ghali, K., Saadeh, R., and Keblawi, A. (2008). Design charts for combined chilled ceiling displacement ventilation system, ASHRAE Transactions, 143(2), 574-587." The award is to recognize the best poster from a total of 120 articles presented in the poster sessions (http://ashrae.org/), 2009.
- Received the Outstanding Reviewer Award for the ASME Journal of Heat Transfer, 2003.
- Receive Abdul Hamid Shoman Prize for Arab Researchers in the area of green engineering in 2014.