Nazek Saba Yared
Who Is She
Nazek Saba Yared
What I have done for Lebanon
I believe that the best thing I have done for Lebanon is having tried my best to make my students love the Arabic language and literature I taught. Besides that, having been an active member the International Baalbeck Festivals , mainly responsible for the Arabic theatre performances, as well as the performances we used to hold in our small theatre in Kantary before the war destroyed it and where we were particularly interested in presenting Arabic plays and performances for children as well as ballet and puppet shows .
Contact information / Private
963716 4 961
831622 3 961
- Doctorate degree, Arabic Literature, 1976, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
- Master's degree, Arabic Literature, 1961, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
- Liscence, Philosophy, 1948, Fuad 1st University in Cairo, Egypt.
Areas of expertise
- Associate Professor, 1978 - 1998, Lebanese American University.
- Teacher of Arabic, 1950 - 1978, College Protestant Français (French Protestant College),
Honorary office and memberships
- Member of the Association of Lebanese Women Researchers, 1992 - present.
- Member of the International Baalbeck Festival, 1970 - present.
- Saba Yared, N. (2018). ِLoss. Beirut: Naufal Group.
- Saba Yared, N. (2014). ِAl-la‘na [the curse]. Beirut: Arabic Scientific Publishers.
- Saba Yared, N. (2009). Cancelled memories [Trans. from Arabic]. Syracuse: Syracuse University Press.
- Saba Yared, N. (2008). Dhikrayat lam taktamil. Beirut: Saqi Books.
- Saba Yared, N. (2002). Secularism and the Arab World. London: Saqi Books.
- Saba Yared, N. (1998). Al-dhikrayat al-mulghat. Beirut: Naufal Group.
- Saba Yared, N. (1997). Improvisations on a missing string [Trans. from Arabic]. Arkansas: Arkansas University Press.
- Saba Yared, N. (1996). Arab travellers and the West [Trans. from Arabic]. London: Saqi Books.
- Saba Yared, N. (1992). Taqasim ‘ala watarin da’i’ [Improvisations on a missing string]. Beirut: Naufal Group.
- Saba Yared, N. (1991). Al-rahhaloun al-`arab wa hadarat al-gharb [Arab travellers and the West] (2nd. Ed.). Beirut: Naufal Group.
Exhibitions, lectures & performances:
Lectures in English:
- Equal by Constitution, Unequal in Practice, Emory Univ., Atlanta, 2003.
- Women as Novelists, Arkansas University, 1999.
- Women Issues in Lebanon, Tufts University, Medford, Mass., 1998.
- Identity & Conflict in the Novels of Contemporary Lebanese Women Writers, University of Urbana-Champagne, Illinois, 1996.
- The Renaissance and Reformation, Lebanese American University, 1990.
Awards and Distinctions
- Prize for the best children’s novel written since 1997, for the novel Ba’idan ‘an Dhill al’Qal’a by the Lebanese Association of Children’s Books, 1999.
- Prince Claus Award, Awarded by the Dutch government for literary and social contributions, 1998.
- The prize of the Lebanese Association For Children’s Books for the novel Fi Dhill al-Qal’a, 1997.
- Prize for the best Arabic novel translated by the Arkansas University Press for the novel Improvisations on a missing string, 1996.
- Chevalier dans l’Ordre des Palmes Acedemiques by the French government for contributing to the French culture, 1977.