Nayla Comair Obeid
Who Is She
Founding Partner, Professor
Nayla Comair Obeid
Contact information / Private
Contact information / Work
Obeid Law Firm
Sami El-Solh Avenue, Makarem Bldg., 1st Flr.
116-2234 Law Courts Beirut 1109 2020 Lebanon
393906 1 961
393906 1 961 مقسّم 5
711224 3 961
- Doctorate Degree, Business Law (with honors), 1990-1994, Université Paris II - Panthéon-Assas-Sorbonne, France.
- Postgraduate Diploma (diplôme d'études approfondies), Business Law, 1978-1980, Saint-Joseph University (Lebanon) in collaboration with Université Jean-Moulin-Lyon II (France).
- Master's Degree, Lebanese and French Law (with distinction), 1974-1978, Saint-Joseph University (Lebanon) in collaboration with Université Jean-Moulin-Lyon II (France).
Areas of expertise
- Civil and Business Law
- Commercial Law in Islamic and Middle Eastern Legislations
- Islamic Banking
- Professor, 2010-present, Lebanese Judicial Institute.
- Visiting Professor, 2010-present, Université Paris II - Panthéon-Assas-Sorbonne.
- Professor, 1994-present, Lebanese University.
- Founder and Senior Partner, 1987-present, Obeid Law Firm.
- Lecturer, 1996-2002, Holy Spirit University of Kaslik (USEK).
Honorary office and memberships
- Elected President of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, 2015-2017.
- Member at the board of governors of the Regional Centre for International Commercial Arbitration in Cairo, 2012-present.
- Vice-President of the board of trustees of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, 2010-present.
- Trustee at the board of trustees of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, 2009-present.
- Member in the panel of arbitrators at the International Center for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), 2003-present.
- Member of the board of directors of the Institute of World Business Law in Paris, International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), 1999-present.
- Chairman of the board of trustees of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, 2013-2014.
- Member in the panel of conciliators at the International Center for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), 2011.
- Vice-Chair of the arbitration committee of the International Bar Association, 2010.
- Member of the Corporate Governance Working Group of Islamic Banking, 2004-2007.
- Comair Obeid, N. (2011). Mediation in the Arab world: challenges and prospects. In L. de Montalivet, L. Levy, & Y. Derains (Eds.), Liber amicorum: mélanges en l'honneur de Serge Lazareff[in honor of Serge Lazareff] (pp. 119-129). Paris: Librairie des Editions Pedone.
- Comair Obeid, N. (2006). Recovery of damages for breach of an obligation of payment, In Evaluation of damages in international arbitration, (Fourth Edition). Paris: Institute of World Business Law.
- Comair Obeid, N. (1999). Arbitration in Lebanese Law: a comparative study. Beirut: Delta.
- Comair Obeid, N. (1996). The law of business contracts in the Arab Middle East.London: Kluwer Law International.
- Comair Obeid, N. (1995). Les contrats en Droit Musulman des affaires [Business contracts in Islamic law]. Paris: Economica.
- Expert member in the commission in charge of the elaboration of the Arab law for guidance on mediation and conciliation, 2006.
- Commissioner at the United Nations Compensation Commission in Geneva, 2002-2005.
Exhibitions, lectures & performances:
- Speaker, "Salient Issues in International Commercial Arbitration in the Middle East", Arbitration Symposium, Center on International Commercial Arbitration of the American University Washington College of Law, November 2013.
- Speaker, "Cultural Effects and Ethical Issues on Decision-Making from an Arab Middle Eastern Perspective", American Bar Association 2013 Fall meeting, London, October 2013.
- Panelist, Middle Eastern Arbitration Roadshow, Clyde and Co., Doha, Dubai and Abu Dhabi, October, 2013.
- Tutor, International Commercial Arbitration Diploma, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, University of Oxford, September, 2013.
- Panelist, "Are Courts in the Middle East Getting the Balance Right when it Comes to International Arbitration", Global Arbitration Review (GAR) Live, Istanbul, June, 2013.
- Moderator, Session on "Arbitrating Construction Disputes in the MENA Region", ICC's First Annual Conference on International Arbitration in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA), International Chamber of Commerce, Dubai, April, 2013.
- Speaker, "Implied Terms, Good Faith and Arbitration", 28th Joint ICC-SIA Symposium of Arbitrators, Paris, April, 2013.
- Speaker, "Mediation in the Arab World: Challenges and Prospetcs", International Finance Corporation conference on "Judicial Mediation: Best Practices for the MENA Region", Morocco, May, 2012.
- Speaker, "International Commercial Arbitration in Times of Rapid Political Changes", Arbitral Women Event, International Bar Association annual conference, Dubai, 2011.
- Moderator, Session on "Hot Topics in International Arbitration", International Bar Association annual conference, Dubai, 2011.
- Organizer and Speaker, Roundtable Discussion:"The Role of National Courts in Support of International Commercial Arbitration and the Principle of Competence-Competence", International Bar Association annual conference, in collaboration with Dubai International Academic City (DIAC), Dubai, 2011.
- Speaker, "Symposium on International Commercial Arbitration", organized by DIFC/LCIA Arbitration Center and the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA) Arab Users' Council, Beirut, 2011.
- Speaker, conference and workshop on "International Commercial Arbitration: Modern Practice and Future Trends - The 2010 Revision of the International Bar Association Rules on the Taking of Evidence in International Arbitration", organized by the International Chamber of Commerce, Cyprus, March, 2011.
Awards and Distinctions
- Identified as world leading Lawyer in the arbitration practice in Lebanon by the International Who's Who of Business Lawyers, 2002-present.
- Identified as a leading lawyer in dispute resolution practice in Lebanon by Chambers Global, 2011-2012 & 2013-2014.