Who Is She
Professor, Researcher, Translator
Contact information / Private
Bldg. 95, 16 Str., Hotel Dieu Qt., Beirut.
614 870 1 961
342 374 3 961
Personal email address 2:
Contact information / Work
Doctoral School of Letters, Humanities & Social Sciences
Sin-el-Fil Horch Tabet
489 063 1 961
489 320 1 961
- Doctorate degree, Linguistics, 1986, Georgetown University, United States of America.
Areas of expertise
- Women's Issues
- Advisor, Lebanese University – Doctorate College of Humanities – Ph. D, 2013 - present.
- Professor of English Linguistics, Lebanese University, Faculty of Letters II, 1986 - 2013.
- National Commission of Lebanese Women, 2011 - 2017.
- Consultant to HE minister Michel Eddé, Ministry of Culture and Higher Education, 1995 - 1997.
- Visiting professor at several Lebanese Universities
Honorary office and memberships
- Member of the National Commission for Lebanese Women, 2008 - present.
- Member of the Board of the Center for Lebanese Heritage - LAU, 2002 - present.
- Member of the Association of Professors of English and Translation at Arab Universities, 1997 - present.
- Gibran, Kahlil. (2018) The Prophet. Arabic and French Translations. A Comparative Linguistic Analysis. Beirut. Librairie du Liban Publishers.
- Harb, Antoine. (2017). تاريخ الانتشار اللبناني – العهد الفينيقي. History of the Lebanese Worldwide Presence. The Phoenician Epoch. Beirut. Lebanese Heritage Foundation Publications.
- Dalley, Stephanie (2017). Translation into Arabic: The Hanging Garden of Babylon. Beirut. Bissan Publishers.
- Dalley, Stephanie. (2011). Myths from Mesopotamia. Translated by Dr. Najwa Nasr. Beirut: Bissan Publishers and Distributors. 2nd Edition.
- El Rabih, Makki. (2011). Phonology. A Course Book. 2nd Edition. Beirut: Bissan Publishers and Distributors.
- Tree, Q. Young (2009). Here I am. Online: http://www.america.gov/publications/ejournalusa.htm or, http://www.america.gov/st/educ-english/2009/August/20090810125839cMretroP0.1614191.html.
- Harb, Antoine Khoury.(2008). The Roots of Christianity in Lebanon. Translated into English by Professor Najwa S. Nasr. Beirut. The Lebanese Heritage Foundation Publications.
- Saad, Antoine. (2005) The Seventy Sixth. Volumes I. and II Mar Nasrallah Boutros Cardinal Sfeir. Translated into English by Najwa S. Nasr. Jounieh. Entire East Publishing.
- American Studies Today (2001). Early Lebanese Immigrant Women in the USA. American Studies Today. The Newsletter of The American Studies Resource Centre. Issue 9/10, pp. 22-26. Al-Hikmat Journal. (1997). On the road to oblivion. Beirut. Al-Hikmat Journal. Year 3, No 25.
- Linguistics and Poetry. (1996). Lebanese University Publications Department.
Exhibitions, lectures & performances:
- August, 2013. Representative of NCLW in opening and launching workshops on Disaster Risk Reduction.
- October, 2012. Democracy and the Role of Women in the Middle East. Following an invitation by the German Foreign Office.
- March, 2012. The Lebanese Presence in the World. Keynote speaker – conference inaugurale - University of the Holy Spirit at Kaslik (USEK) - Lebanon.
- December, 2010. participant in the regional Consultation Meeting held by UNIFEM in Amman –Jordan.
- October, 2009. Fourth ESCWA convention on women. Representative of Lebanese first lady HE Wafa Michel Suleiman.
- March, 2009. First International Conference on Women and the Challenges of Development. Tetouane – Morocco. Represented the NCLW and headof the Arab delegations.
- 2004, 2006. Participant in International Conferences on Translation, Cairo.
- November, 2004. Slide Lecture on Early Lebanese Immigrants to the USA. presented at the US Embassy – Awkar - Lebanon.
- Participant in several PALA conferences. London.
- December, 1998. Participant in the Conference on the Empowerment of Women celebrating the 25th anniversary of The Institute for Women’s Studies in the Arab World - LAU.
- Participant in three The Salzburg Seminar, American Studies Workshops.
- April, 1998. Participant in the Carroll Centennial Conference. The Lewis Carroll, University of Wales, Cardiff.
- 1996. Researcher and supervisor of the photographic exhibition on early Lebanese immigrants to the USA: "A Journey of Survival". City Exhibition Center, Martyrs’ Square, Beirut.
- Participant in the Mirbed Festivals of Poetry, Baghdad.
Awards and Distinctions
- Senior Fulbright, American Research Fellowship award, 1991.
- Ph. D. Scholarship award, Lebanese University, 1981.
- Michel Chiha's Award - English Essay National Competition, 1967.
- Dorothy White Science Cup, 1966.