Who Is She
former MP, President of Al Bustan International Festival of Music and the Arts
Contact information / Work
Al Bustan Hotel
11 - 3764
Al - Bustan Hotel, Beyt Meri
110 72 150 Riyad el-Solh
870400 4 961
972439 4 961
- Bachelor degree, Psychology, 1958, Faculty of Arts (Lyon University), Lebanon.
- Training, 1954, Three Wise Monkeys Club finishing school, London
- French and Lebanese Baccalaureate, 1954, French Protestant School, Lebanon.
Areas of expertise
- Organizing Music and Arts Festivals
- President, 1994 - present, Al Bustan International Festival of Music and the Arts.
- Member of Parliament, 1963 - 1964, Lebanese government.
Honorary office and memberships
- Member of the Board of Trustees of the American University of Beirut, 1980 - present.
- Founder of the Centre for Lebanese Studies (Oxford), 1990.
- Founder of the British Lebanese Association, 1980.
- Bustani, M. (2005). 35 Days. Beirut: Dar An-Nahar.
- Establishing and organizing the first festival of Classical Art and Music in the Middle East, 1994 - present.
- Organizing concerts in London with the British Lebanese Association for Lebanese Soloists, 1982 - 1990.
- First Lebanese woman to become a member of the Parliament.
Exhibitions, lectures & performances:
- Organizing with the British Lebanese Association the Exhibition “ Lebanon the Artist’s View” at the Barbican Centre London, 1982.
Awards and Distinctions
- Russian Honorary Decoration from Russia.
- Lauréat du Grand Prix E.U.R.O.P.A./ Grand Officier de l’Ordre de l’Etoile de l’Europe from the “Fondation Européenne.
- Hungarian decoration from the Republic of Hungary.
- Order of the Cedar, officer rank.
- Merit of Culture from the Ministry of Arts of the Polish Republic.
- Golden Insignia of the Republic of Austria.
- Commander of the Isabelle la Catholique Order from the King of Spain.
Medal of the Arab Woman for 2002 from the “Hariri Foundation of the Arab Women".