Maya Wahib Mansour
Who Is She
What I have done for Lebanon
As a lawyer and Human Rights activist, I worked on implementing Human Rights principles and the Rule of Law in Lebanon, mainly by assisting in drafting law projects, published several comparative legal studies on Human Rights and worked on Pro-bono cases promoting the implementation of International Human Rights Conventions in Lebanese Courts. I also trained young people on Human Rights Education.
Moreover, as a lecturer on Human Rights at the Beirut Arab University since 2008, I had a role in promoting Human Rights among several generations of students. And most recently, I have been working on promoting Human Rights and corporate social responsibility in business.
Contact information / Work
- Ph.D degree in International Public Law , thesis title: “The role of companies in protecting the universality of Human Rights” 2013 – Present.
- Professional Diploma (Chevening Fellowship), Implementation of Human Rights conventions, January 2009 – April 2009, Human Rights Law Center, University of Nottingham, United Kingdom.
- Professional Diploma, Advanced Compass Training in Human Rights Education, October 2005 – February 2008, Council of Europe (E-Learning Advanced Training).
- Professional Diploma, International and Comparative Human Rights Law, July 2002, International Institute of Human Rights, Robert Schuman University, Strasbourg, France.
- Master's Degree, Legal Informatics, 2000 - 2002, Sagesse University, Lebanon.
- Bachelor Degree, Law, 1995-2000, Sagesse University, Lebanon.
Areas of expertise
- General Law Practice
- International Human Rights Law
- Human Rights Education
- Human rights and Business
- Legal Counsel to the EuroMena Funds, 2012 - present; a private equity firm investing in the Middle East and Africa and Partner in the Fund Management Company from 2014 till 2019.
- Assistant Researcher, 2009 - 2013, The Center of Research Studies and Legal Informatics, The Lebanese University.
- University lecturer on Human Rights, 2008-present, Beirut Arab University.
- Trainer (Human Rights and Human Rights Education), 2002-present, International and National Institutions.
- Attorney at Law, 2001-present, Mansour Law Firm, collaborating with Aref Mneimneh Law Firm (since 2008).
Honorary office and memberships
- Member, The Beirut Bar Association, 2001 - present. Appointed in several committees among which the international Relations Committee (2012 – present), the Women's Committee (2006-2007) and the Human Rights Committee (2010-2011).
- Board Member, The Human Rights Center at the Beirut Arab University, 2010-present.
- Chevening Alumni Association Lebanon – Founding Member and Board Secretary, 2014 – present.
- Associate Partner, The Public Interest Advocacy Center (PINACLE), 2007-2014.
- Board Member, The Permanent Peace Movement, 2006-2013.
- Mansour, M. & Ghaoui, R. (2013). Dirasa Kanuniya moukaraba hawla soujoun el nisa’ fi Loubnan fi zol el mawathiq el duwaliya [ legal study on the Women Penal System in Lebanon in comparison with the International Conventions for Human Rights], Diakonia. Dar Al Amal, Caritas Lebanon Migrant Center, The Lebanese Women Democratic Gathering.
- Contributed to the world bank study wrote by Paul Prettitore (2012), on Delivery of Justice Sector Services to the Poor How Are Middle East Governments Addressing Gaps?
- Mansour, M & Abou Aad, S (2012), Women’s citizenship Rights in Lebanon. Research, Advocacy & Public Policy –Making, Issam Fares Institute for Public Policy and International Affairs, AUB.
- Mansour, M. & Daoud, C. (2010). Rapport sur l'indépendance et l'impartialité du système judiciaire au Liban [National report on the independence and impartiality of the Lebanese judiciary system]. Euro-Mediterranean Human Rights Network.
- Mansour, M. (2009). Arab Charter on Human Rights, Background, Concept and Compatibility with International Standards. Unpublished manuscript, University of Nottingham.
- Mansour, M. & Ghaoui, R. (2007).Dirasa kanuniya hawl al-ashkhas thawi al-ihtiyajat al-khassa wa hakihim fi al-amal wa al-damij wa iktirah itar kanuni wa siyasat hadifa [Legal study on the employment and inclusion rights of people with special needs. Legal framework and new policies]. Al-Zawrak Association.
- Mansour, M. Sfeir, R. & Aoun, E. (2007).Dirasa kanuniya hawl tasdik lubnan ala al-protocol al-ikhtiyari al-mulhak bi itifakiyat hukuk al-tuful al-mutaaliq bi ishtiraq al-atfal fi al-nizaat al-musalaha [Legal study on Lebanon's ratification of the optional protocol to the convention on the rights of the child on the involvement of children in armed conflict]. Permanent Peace Movement.
- Mansour, M. & Ghaoui, R. (2006). Dirasa kanuniya hawl sin al-masuliya al-jazaiya wifkan lil kanun al-lubnani wa kawanin baad al-buldan al-arabiya [Legal comparative study on juvenile’s law in Lebanon and the Arab countries]. Permanent Peace Movement.
- Trainer and lecturer on human rights and human rights education in collaboration with local and international organizations and institutions such as the United Nations, Amnesty International, Council of Europe, and the American Bar Association in several countries (France, Sweden, Egypt, Jordan, Hungary, Portugal, Tunisia, Morocco and Lebanon), 2002-present.
- Participated in the organization and jury to several national and international Human Rights moot court, 2009 – present.
- Speaker, round table on “the women penal system in Lebanon in comparison with the international conventions for human rights” organized by Diakonia. Dar Al Amal, Caritas Lebanon Migrant Center, The Lebanese Women Democratic Gathering, September 2013.
- Lecturer, summer school on human rights in the MENA region, organized by the Human Rights Center at the Beirut Arab University in cooperation with Raoul Wallenberg Institute, the University of Jordan, Birzeit University, Sousse University, and the University of Algiers, Debbiyeh, Lebanon, 2011, 2012, 2013.
- Speaker, Conference on the “Role of an Independent Judiciary in view of the Changes in the MENA Region, organized by the American Bar Association and the Arab Council for Judicial and Legal Studies, Tunisia, January 2012.
- Co-presented the study on Women's Right between Law and Jurisprudence in Lebanon, Amman, 2011. (The study is a collaborative work between Beirut Arab University, Notre Dame University, The Institute for Women's Studies in the Arab World at the Lebanese American University, and The Public Interest Advocacy Center (PINACLE) funded by Raoul Wallenberg Institute).
- Speaker, regional workshop on death penalty in the Arab countries, organized by the Arab Center for the Independence of the Judiciary and Legal Profession in collaboration with Kuwait Bar Association, Kuwait, May 2011.
Awards and Distinctions
- Certificate of appreciation from the U.S. Embassy in Lebanon for her active role in advocating for women, human rights and peace, 2009.