Maha Milki Wehbe
Who Is She
What I have done for Lebanon
I have organized plenty of meetings for hundreds of women from different regions of Lebanon over the past twenty years, in my capacity as coordinator of the Women s Program at the " Middle East Council of Churches ~ or as President of the " Women In Action for development " NGO, on various topics mainly: Women as Peace builders, Leadership training, organizing projects and awareness lectures on various medical topics to student in different school.
Contact information / Private
Contact information / Work
- Graduate courses, Agriculture (Food Industry), 1978, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
- Bachelor of Science, Agriculture, 1978, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
- Diploma, Ingénieur Agricole, 1978, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
Areas of expertise
- Managing Public Gardens and Parks
- Gender Based Violence
- Role of Women in Church and Society
- Teaching and Coordinating Science to Intermediate and Elementary levels
- Head of the Public Relations Department, 2014 - present, Municipality of Beirut.
- Head of the Public Parks and Gardens Department, 2001 - 2014, Municipality of Beirut.
- Coordinator of the Women’s Program, 1996 - 2009, Middle East Council of Churches.
- Assistant to the Director & Agricultural Engineer, 1996 - 2001, Department of Public Gardens at the Municipality of Beirut.
- Science Coordinator for the Elementary School and Biology Instructor for 4th intermediate level, 1985 - 1995, St. Mary’s Orthodox College.
- Nutrition and Agriculture Consultant, 1979 - 1983, GRELAC (a joint project between UNICEF and the Lebanese Government's Office of Social Development to update the services offered in orphanages).
- Instructor of Science, Mathematics, and Arabic for Elementary Classes, 1978 - 1979, International College (IC), Beirut.
Honorary office and memberships
- Gender focal point between the Municipality of Beirut and the Ministry of State for Women's Affairs 2018 - present.
- Gender focal point between Ministery of Interior Affairs ( Municipality of Beirut) and NCLW 2018 - present.
- Vice president of Bishmezzine High School Alumni Committee, 2017-present.
- Member of the Gender Advisory Group (GAG) at the World Council of Churches, 2014-present.
- Founder and President of Women in Action for Development, 2009 - present.
- Member of Ayadina Association, 2004-present.
- Representative of the Patriarchate of Antioch at the 10th General Assembly of the World Council of Churches at Busan, South Korea, 2013.
- Member of the World Day of Prayer National Committee, 1996-2012.
- Member of the Fellowship of the Least Coin, 2000-2010.
- Representative of the Patriarchate of Antioch at the 9th General Assembly of the World Council of Churches at Porto Alegre, Brazil, 2006.
- Member of the Advisory Group on Women at the World Council of Churches, 1992-2003.
- Member of the International Steering Committee for the Women’s Festival organized by the World Council of Churches (Harare, Zimbabwe), 1996-1998.
- Secretary then Vice – President of Beirut City Lioness Club, 1985–1992.
- Chairperson of the Children’s Sub-committee, Member of the Admissions Committee, & Member of the Celebrations Committee for the 125th Anniversary of AUB, Alumni Association of the American University of Beirut, 1986-1991.
Attending regional and international meetings, namely:
- The fourth and fifth meetings for the Gender Advisory Group of the World Council of churches ( Geneva,2017 and Geneva 2019)
- The third meeting for the Gender Advisory Group of the World Council of Churches (Atlanta-USA, 2017);
- The second meeting for the Gender Advisory Group of the World Council of Churches (Berlin, 2015);
- The Interfaith Consultation Meeting entitled "Mobilizing Faith Communities in Ending Sexual Violence in Conflict", organized by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (London, 2015);
- The first meeting of the Gender Advisory Group of the World Council of Churches (Ayia Napa, Cyprus, 2014);
- The 10th General Assembly of the World Council of Churches entitled God of Life Lead us to Justice and Peace (Busan, South Korea, 2013);
- The meeting of coordinators for women programs of the Regional Council of Churches (Thailand, 2009);
- The 3rd Inter-Orthodox Women’s Consultations (Volos, Greece, 2008);
- World Day of Prayer International Committee Quadrennial Meeting (Toronto, Canada, 2007);
- The 9th General Assembly of the World Council of Churches entitled God, in Your Grace, Transform the World (Porto Alegre, Brazil, 2006);
- Women and Religion in the 21st century (New York, 2006);
- Second Antiochian Orthodox Women’s Consultation (Damascus, 2001);
- Orthodox Clergy-wives meeting of the Antiochian Patriarchate at St. George Monastery (Humayra, Syria, 2001);
- Presbyterian Women General Assembly (Louisville, USA, 2000);
- The 8th General Assembly of the World Council of Churches entitled Turn to God, Rejoice in Hope (Harare, Zimbabwe, 1998);
- Methodist Women General Assembly (Florida, USA, 1998).
Coordinating local, regional, & international meetings and conferences, namely:
- Workshop on Women and Ecumenism (Ayia Napa, Cyprus, 2000);
- First Antiochian Orthodox Women Consultation at St. George Monastery (Humayra, Syria, 1996);
- Conference on Women as Advocates for Peace (Cairo, Egypt, 1996).
Participating in several conferences on different topics, namely:
- Pilgrimage on UNSCR 1325 "Woman and Peace" (Geneva, 2014);
- Overcoming Violence against Women (Scotland, 2005);
- World, Mission and Evangelism (Brazil, 1996);
- Violence against Women (Cyprus, 1995);
- Peace in Society and Church (Cyprus, 1994);
- Men and Women in Church and Social Service (Cyprus, 1991);
- Health, Healing and Wholeness (Cyprus, 1990).
Completed a course on ‘Developing and Managing a Garden City’ sponsored by the Singapore Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Singapore), 2002.
- Superior Promotion training for technician civil servants of third category at ENA 2016-2017;
- Participated in the workshop entitled "Planning, Management, and Evaluation of Projects Targeting Women" (Session I & II), organized by the Arab Women organization affiliated to the Arab League, January and April, 2014;
- Participated in a three week workshop on gender, Bossey, Switzerland, 1992;
- Participated in the series of workshops organized by UNIFEM (Beirut) on Gender Awareness, Participatory Rapid Appraisal, & Strategic Planning, 1994.
- Organizing the Icon Exhibition on Women Saints during the Women’s Festival organized by the World Council of churches (Harare, Zimbabwe), 1998.
Lectures: Papers presented at different local, regional, and international events include:
- Role of Women in the Ecumenical Movement at the Maronite Church Conference on "Roles of Women in Church" (Ghazir, Lebanon, 2014);
- Peace in the Community at the International Ecumenical Peace Convocation (IEPC) (Jamaica, 2011);
- Women in the Religion in the 21st Century(NYC, USA, 2006);
- Violence Against Women in Church (Women’s Festival Zimbabwe 1998);
- Discerning the Signs of Times (2nd Inter-Orthodox Women’s Consultation, Istanbul, Turkey, 1997);
- Laity in the Church (Geneva, Switzerland, 1997);
- Discerning the Signs of Times (Inter-Orthodox Women’s Consultation, Damascus, Syria, 1996);
- Feminine Images and Orthodox Spirituality (Bossey Institute, Switzerland, 1992).