Magda Bou Dagher Kharrat
Who Is She
Professor, Researcher, Chairperson
Magda Bou Dagher Kharrat
Contact information / Work
Saint Joseph University
Faculty of Science, Life and Earth Science Department
11-514 Riad El-Solh, Beirut 1107 2050, Lebanon
961 1 421382
961 1 485349
961 1 485349
- Habilitation à Diriger des Recherches (HDR), 2015, Paris XI University, France.
- Doctorate Degree, Plant Cellular and Molecular Biology, 1999-2001, Pierre & Marie Curie (Paris VI) University, France.
- Postgraduate diploma (Diplôme d'études approfondies), Plant Cellular and Molecular Biology, 1997-1998, University of Picardie Jules Verne, France.
- Master's Degree, Animal Biology, Ecology and Hydrobiology, 1993-1997, Lebanese University, Lebanon.
Areas of expertise
- Endemic Plants
- Plant Genetics
- Informal Science
- Chair of the Life and Earth Science department, 2012-present, Saint Joseph University.
- Chair of the Master's Degree programs (Biomarketing & Molecular Biology), 2006-2012, Saint Joseph University.
- Full Professor, 2015 - present, Saint Joseph University.
- Associate Professor, 2006-2015, Saint Joseph University.
- Assistant Professor, 2004-2006, Saint Joseph University.
- University lecturer and researcher, 2001-2003, Saint Joseph University.
Honorary office and memberships
- Board member, Saint Joseph University Council, 2016- present.
- Member of the International Relations Commission at Saint Joseph University, 2017 – present.
- Member of IUCN/SCC International Union for Conservation of Nature - Species Survival Commission, Conifer Specialist Group 2017-2020
- Member of GENMEDA: Network of seed banks and conservation centres of genetic resources of the Mediterranean flora 2018- present
- Board member, Organization for the Phyto-taxonomic Investigation of the Mediterranean Area [Organisation pour l'étude phyto-taxonomique de la région méditerranéenne-OPTIMA], 2012-present.
- Board member, International Organization of Systematics and Evolution Biology - IOSEB, 2011-present.
- Vice-president and co-founder, Jouzour Loubnan, 2008-present.
- Member, International Association for Mediterranean Forests [Association Internationale Forets Méditerranéennes-AIFM], 2003-present.
- Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES) expert. 2015 – present.
- Sekiewicz K., Dering M., Romo A., Bou Dagher kharrat M., Boratynska K, Boratynski A. (2018). Phylogenetic and biogeographic insights into long-lived Mediterranean Cupressus taxa with a schizo-endemic distribution and Tertiary origin. Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society; 188(2):190-212.
- Viruel J., Haguenauer A., Juin M., Mirleau F., Bouteiller D., Bou Dagher-Kharrat M., Ouahmane L., La Malfa S., Medail F., Sanguin H., Nieto Feliner G., Baumel A.. (2018) Advances on genotyping microsatellite markers through sequencing and consequences of scoring methods for Ceratonia siliqua L. (Leguminosae). Applications in Plant Sciences; 6(12):e1201., DOI:10.1002/aps3.1201
- Donmez A., Bou Dagher Kharrat M., Ugurlu Aydin Z.. (2018) Two new records (Sorbus persica, Cotoneaster morulus) for the Lebanon flora. 2018. Biological Diversity and Conservation. ISSN 1308-8084. 11/2 12-15
- Baumel A, Mirleau P, Viruel J, Bou Dagher Kharrat M, La Malfa S, Ouahmane L, Diadema K, Moakhar M, Sanguin H, Medail F. (2018) Assessment of plant species diversity associated with the carob tree (Ceratonia siliqua, Fabaceae) at the Mediterranean scale. Plant Ecology and Evolution, 151(2): 185-193.
- Marignani, Bruschi, Astiaso Garcia, Frondoni, Carli, Pinna, Cumo, Gugliermetti, Saatkamp, Doxa, Martin Queller, Chaieb, Bou Dagher, El Zein, El Jeitani, Khater, Mansour, Al-Shami, Harik, Alameddine, El Fadel, Blasi: (2017). Identification and prioritization of areas with high environmental risk in Mediterranean coastal areas: A flexible approach. Science of The Total Environment;
- Kilia N, Hand R., Hadjikyriakou G., Christodoulou C., Bou Dagher Kharrat M. (2017). Astartoseris (Cichorieae, Asteraceae), a new, systematically isolated monospecific genus accommodating Lactuca triquetra endemic to Lebanon and Cyprus. Willdenowia 47(2).
- Bou Dagher-Kharrat M., El Zein H., Rouhan G., Setting conservation priorities for Lebanese flora-Identification of important plant areas, In Journal for Nature Conservation, (2017), ISSN 1617-1381,.
- Platt D., Haber M., Bou Dagher-Kharrat M., Douaihy B., Khazen G., Ashrafian Bonab M., Salloum A., Mouzaya F., Luiselli D., Tyler-Smith C., Renfrew C., Matisoo-Smith E., Zalloua P. (2017) : Mapping Post-Glacial expansions: The Peopling of Southwest Asia. Scientific Reports; 7:40338., DOI:10.1038/srep40338
- Fady B., Bou, Dagher Kharrat M., et al. (2016). Evolution-based approach needed for the conservation and silviculture of peripheral forest tree populations. Forest Ecology and Management; 375:66-75., DOI:10.1016/j.foreco.2016.05.015
- Hardion L., Dumas P.J., Abdel-Samad F., Bou Dagher Kharrat M., Surina B., Affre L., Medail F., Bacchetta G., Baumel A. (2016). Geographical isolation caused the diversification of the Mediterranean thorny cushion-like Astragalus L. sect. Tragacantha DC. (Fabaceae). Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 97:187-195. doi: 10.1016/j.ympev.2016.01.006
- Sobierajska K., Boratynska K., Jasinska A., DeringM., Ok T, Douaihy B., Bou Dagher-Kharrat M., Romo A., Boratynski A. (2016). Effect of the Aegean Sea barrier between Europe and Asia on differentiation in Juniperus drupacea (Cupressaceae). Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society 180 (3): 365 - 385.
- Gauquelin T. Michon G., Joffre R., Duponnois R., Genin D., Fady B., Bou Dagher Kharrat M., et al. (2016). Mediterranean forests, land use and climate change: a social-ecological perspective. Regional Environmental Change. DOI: 10.1007/s10113-016-0994-3.
- Abdel Samad N., Bou Dagher-Kharrat M., El Zein R., Douaihy B., Hidalgo O., Siljak-Yakovlev S. (2016). Unlocking the karyological and cytogenetic diversity of Iris from Lebanon: Oncocyclus section shows a distinctive profile and relative stasis during its continental radiation. PLOS ONE DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0160816
Exhibitions, lectures & performances:
- Invited speaker. Identifying biodiversity-related success factors of ecological restoration projects (Lebanon). Implementing the Short Term Action Plan for Ecosystem Restoration – Resources, case studies and the role of technical and scientific cooperation. COP-14 Fourteenth meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity. Sharm EL Cheikh - Egypt14-22 November 2018.
- Invited Keynote speaker. Overview of habitat restoration and habitat approaches. 2nd Mediterranean Plant Conservation Week. Conservation of Mediterranean Plant Diversity: Complementary Approaches and New Perspectives”. 12-16 November 2018, La Valetta, Malta.
- Panelist on “creating value from Mediterranean forests for rural and urban communities”. Forests: interconnecting sustainable development goals to action’. European Forest Institute and EUFORGEN annual meeting. Alghero, Sardinia 24-28 September 2018.
- Invited Keynote speaker. Genetic Diversity patterns of Eastern Mediterranean Conifers. International conference ‘Biology and ecology of woody plants’ in Poznań/Kórnik. 11 - 13 June 2018.
- Speaker. Identifying biodiversity-related success factors of ecological restoration projects - Mount Lebanon, Lebanon. World Conference on Ecological Restoration organized by the Society for Ecological Restoration in Iguazu, Brazil 26 August 2017.
- Invited speaker, Sustainable restoration of Mediterranean forests: Analysis and perspective within the context of bio-based economy development under global changes, Palermo,18-22 April 2017
- Invited speaker, Genetic insights for Juniperus genus marginal populations. Marginal and peripheral tree populations: a key genetic resource for European forests” Arezzo –Italy,26-29 September 2016
- Invited speaker, Setting conservation priorities is a priority: case of Lebanese flora. 1st Mediterranean Plant Conservation Week, Ulcinj - Montenegro, October 2016.
- Invited speaker, Biodiversity conservation trilogy: explore, valorize and protect. Biodiversity Conservation Meeting Conservation studies on Mediterranean threatened flora and vegetation. X INTERNATIONAL MEETING BIODIVERSITY CONSERVATION AND MANAGEMENT. Sardinia, 13-18 June 2016.
- Speaker, "Phylogenetics and genetic diversity of endemic Irises of Lebanon", Monocots V Conference, Fordham University, New York, 2013.
- Guest Speaker, "Genome organization, Genetic diversity and relationships in Cedrus Genus”, a lecture presented jointly with François Lefevre, Bruno Fady, Stephanie Mariette, Arnould Savouré at the IUFRO TREE BIOTECHNOLOGY, Ponta Delgada, Portugal, June 3-8, 2007.
- Invited Speaker, "Phylogeny of Cedrus genus: Cytogenetic and molecular approaches”, a lecture presented jointly with Sonja Yakovlev at the XIIème OPTIMA meeting, Pisa, Italy, September 10-16, 2007.
- Invited Speaker, "Gender rights, right to environment security, right to social progress, economic enterprise, and political participation: Women's condition and female movements in the Arab and Islamic countries", a conference entitled "Le Liban, Joyau vert de l'orient entre splendeur et calamité" [Lebanon, green jewel of the east between splendor and calamity], October 1-2, 2008.
- Invited Speaker, "When cytogenetic and molecular markers help with understanding phylogeny of the genus Cedrus. Conference on BioSystematics, Berlin, Germany, February 21-27, 2011.
- Invited Speaker, "Lebanon biodiversity under threat", a workshop organized by MISTRALS, La Valleta, Malta, March 30- April 2, 2011.
- Invited Speaker, "Recherches conduites aujourd'hui sur la biodiversité terrestre au Liban" [recent research conducted on terrestrial biodiversity in Lebanon], Program workshop BioDiversity of the Mediterranean Experiment organized by Chantier MISTRALS, Marseille, November 8-9, 2011.
- Speaker, "Nuclear DNA C-values measurements as rapid tool for biodiversity screening: Case of the Lebanese flora", XX Plant and Animal Genome Conference, San Diego, California, January 14-18, 2012.
- Invited speaker, "Genetic diversity assessment of conservation of Cerdus and Juniperus in Lebanon: Store, certify and exchange the role of biobanks for research and protetcion of forest biodiversity", Viterbo, Italy, April 19-21, 2012.
Awards and Distinctions
- Selected to join the International Visitors Leadership program "Women's Innovations in Science and Engineering" (WISE) by the U.S. department of State for her distinctive scientific work and opinion leader for plant conservation in Lebanon, 2013.
- Nominated as "Outstanding Woman Scientist", Women in Science Hall of Fame 2011-2012 for her distinctive scientific work and opinion leader for plant conservation in Lebanon, 2012. (a program managed by the U.S. embassies and consulates in the Middle East and North Africa).
- Received the UNESCO-L'OREAL award for "Women in Science", for creating the first data base about Lebanon-flora promoting endemic plants, 2008.