Who Is She
What I have done for Lebanon
I have given to Lebanon my responsibility and protection toward its People and land:
As an academician (PhD, UfT), I represented Lebanon abroad in the best way (Canada) . After 10 years, I brought my three children back to Lebanon to study at AUB, in order to help in rebuilding Lebanon. I succeeded as a University Lecturer at H U & AUB, as a Lebanese writer in the Arab World, and Researcher in The Lebanese Association of Women Researchers.
Active for years in spreading the culture of peace and amicability among the Lebanese, in "The Path of Mary". Five years Director of a Book Club in "WAKE" Cultural Centre in Beirut. Successfully, lobbied the municipality of Beirut (2010) to rehabilitate the public staircase in my neighborhood, to overcome a pollution issue and help ease traffic in public space. I ran for the 2016 Municipality Election and 2018 Parliamentary Election. Although not succeeded, I represented the Lebanese Women in Politics in the best way.
Contact information / Private
Contact information / Work
- Doctorate degree, Islamic Religion and Philosophy, 2006, University of Toronto, Canada.
- Master's degree, Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies, 1993, University of Toronto, Canada.
- Bachelor degree, Political Studies, 1978, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
Areas of expertise
- Qur'anic Studies and Hermeneutics
- Mary in the Qur'an
- Islamic Feminism
- Arabic Feminist Writings
- Women's Role in Consolidating the Culture of Peace and Dialogue.
- Lecturer at the American University of Beirut, Department of Arabic and Near Eastern Languages.
Honorary office and memberships
- She organized the Readers Club at the Mohamad Dimachkieh Cultural Center for five years, 2017-2012.
- She participated in discussions abot Ethical Principles at the Beirut Ethics Colloquia, 2013-2016.
- She Participated in the acadamic work group of the European Project for the inter-faith dialogue movement EPIL, 2011-2013.
- Co-founder and Active Member of Darb Maryam, The Path of Mary.
- Active Member of the Lebanese Association of Women Researchers (Bahithat), since 2000 - present.
- Mary in the Qur’an: A Literary Reading. London & New York, Routledge, 2016. Papercover.
- Mary in the Qur’an: A Literary Reading. London & New York, Routledge, 2014. Hardcover.
- Hosn Abboud & Dima Dabbous, Eds. On Islamic Feminist Texts and Women Activism, The Institute of Women in the Arab World (IWSAW), at the Lebanese American University (LAU) Issue (2015-2016).
- Hosn Abboud, Amal Habib & Ridwan al-Sayyid, Eds. Players of the Arab Revolutions Innovative Forms and Expressions, Lebanese Association of Women Researchers (Bahithat), Vol. 16 (2013-2014).
- Hosn Abboud, Ed. Women and Scripture in the Arab World, The
- Institute of Women in the Arab World (IWSAW), at the Lebanese American University (LAU) Dec. issue (2009).
Articles in Refereed Journals:
- "Denial of Similitude Phrase “And a Male is Not Like a Female” (Qur’an 3: 36): Gender Implication as an Exegetical Concern." In Proceedings of the International Conference, Knowledge and Education in Classical Islam: Historical Foundations—Contemporary Impact, the University of Göettingen and Azhar University, Göettingen, Germany Leiden: Brill (forthcoming).
- "Representations of the "Nation" in Arab Women Prison Memoirs" in Representations and Visions of Homeland in Modern Arabic Literature, Edited by Sebastian Gunther and Stephan Milich. Germany: Georg Olms Verlag, 2016.
- "Two Faces of the Revival of Feminist Qur'anic Exegesis: A'isha Abd al-Rahman and Amina Wadud." in Jean Said Maqdisi et.als. Editors. Arab Feminisms: Gender and Equality in the Middle East. I.B. Tauris Publishers, In Association with The Centre of Arab Unity Studies and Lebanese Association of Women Researchers, 2014.
- "General and Foundational Trends in "Islamic Feminism" in the Arab World," in Omaima Abou-Bakr, Ed. Feminist and Islamic Perspectives: A New Horizons of Knowledge and Reform (Cairo: Women and Memory Forum, 2013).
- “Sūrat Maryam and the Pre-Islamic Panegyrical Ode: A Study of the Tripartite Structure.” In Sources and Approaches Across Disciplines in Near Eastern Studies: Proceeding of the 24th Conference of L’Union Européenne des ArabisantsetIslamisants. Leuven: Peeters, 2013.
- “Idhan Maryam Nabiyya (Hence Maryam is a Prophetess): Muslim Classical Exegetes and Women’s Receptiveness to God’s Verbal Inspiration.” In Mariam, the Magdalen, and the Mother. Edited by Deridre Good, 183-196. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2005.
- “Quranic Mary’s Story and the Motif of Palm Tree and the Rivulet.” Parole del’Orient 30 (2005).
- She ran for Municipal Elections (2016) and Parliamentary Elections (2018) in Beirut.
- She successfully lobbied the municipality of Beirut (2010) to rehabilitate the public staircase in her neighborhood to overcome a pollution issue and help ease traffic in public space.
- Organizing in 2009 a one day symposium titled Qira'at adabiyya fi-l Kitab al muqaddas wa-l Qur'a al-Karim [Literary readings of the Bible and the Qur'an] at the Institute for Women's Studies in the Arab World at the Lebanese American University, in cooperation with Bahithat (Lebanese Association of Women Researchers), sponsored by the Ministry of Culture under the project Beirut Capital of the Book.
- Editing of issue No. 125 (Spring 2009) of Al-Raida journal titled Women and Scriptures in the Arab world.
Awards and Distinctions
- University of Toronto Fellowship, 1997 - 1998, 2001 - 2003