Hind al Soufi
Who Is She
Art Critic, Professor, Researcher, Visual Artist
Hind al Soufi
Contact information / Work
Al Mina st., Kabbara Bldg. (Maison du Cafe), 3rd fl.
961 6 612621
961 6 612621
961 3 671600
- Women Studies Diploma, Upsala University/Sweden, 2009.
- PhD in ‘Sciences of Art", Université Paris VIII, France 1998
- DEA, Economics, Sorbonne Paris I, 1981.
- DES in Fine Arts, Leb. University, 1980.
- M.A. in Economics,Université Saint-Joseph, Beirut – Lebanon, 1974.
- Diploma of Statistics, Ecole des Lettres, 1976.
Areas of expertise
- Arts Sciences
- Lecturer, 1997 - 2005, Faculty of Architecture, Arts & Design, Notre Dame University.
- Lecturer, 1994 - 2003, Faculty of Arts, Balamand University.
- Lecturer, 1997 - 2001, Faculty of Education, Lebanese University.
- Lecturer, 1999 - 2001, Holy Spirit University.
Honorary office and memberships
- Member of the Conselor Committee at the Arab Woman Organization
- President, Lebanese Artists Painters and Sculptors Association, 2009 - 2012
- President, Tripoli International Festival Association, 2000 - present.
- Founder & Program Coordinator, Youth Forum / Parliament, 2005 - present.
- Head of the Economic Committee, National Commission for Lebanese Women, 2008-2016.
- Founder of Al Fayhaa Choir, winner of the First Award at The International Competition of Choirs/ Varsovia Poland, 2002.
Selected Gender Studies
- Tripoli and cohabitation, “Women and the city: 100 years of silent militantism”, Azm Ed, Tripoli, 2010.
- The Impact of the economic crisis on women, UNFPA, Beirut 2010.
- Research study: “The UN Values and Concepts in the CNRS Civic Education Books”, school books review and evaluation, Unesco, Beirut, 2001.
- “Quota 2, Conference papers, ” A study of quota among youth”, Lebanese Council for Women, Beirut, 2002.
- “Quota for Women”, Lebanese Council for Women, Beirut, 1999.
- “My Lady, Take a Seat”, IWSAW/LAU, Beirut, 2003.
Collective Books: Art
- Arab uprisings: New perspectives,” The Islamic Pieta and the Western Media approach to the Arab Upraising”, Bahithat, Bk 16, Beirut, 2013-2014.
- The third age, “ Elderly in the fine arts: A Gender perspective”, U.L Publications, Beirut, 2013.
- Women and Finance, “The Symbolic of jewels in painting”, Bahithat 13, Beirut, 2009.
- Soufi, H. (2008, April). Tamathoulat al-Jens finnas atashkili [Representation of sexuality in visual texts]. Majallat al'amara walfan [Journal of Art and Architecture], 2.
- Soufi, H. (2008). Arriyada bil'arabiya: Qira'a fi fan al-houroufiya [Leadership in Arabic: Reading in the art of calligraphy]. In M. Chahine, F. Ben Omar & H. Soufi, Bayn al-mansous walmabsour [Between the written and the seen], pp. 159 - 260. Sharjah: Dar athaqafa wal I'lam.
- Soufi, H. (2008). From Hurufia to Post Hurufia, (Under Editing)
- Soufi, H. (2008). Movements in Art (Western and Arab World),1500- 2015
- Hind Al Soufi & Fateh Ben Amer (2008). Re- Reading Hurufia, Department of Culture, Sharjah.
- Soufi, H. (2008). Al mar`a wal'amal al'am [Women and labor]. Tripoli: Ara` Cultural Association.
- Soufi, H. (2006). Ayqounat athoukoura bayna athabat wattahawoulat [The icon of masculinity between stability and transformations]. In A. Al-Amin, C. Boustany, M. Chaoul, & H. Soufi, Tafkik mafhoum athoukoura al-mouhaymina: Arroujoula waloubouwwa al-yawm [Dismantling the prevailing concept of masculity: Masculinity and Fatherhood nowadays]. Beirut: Association of Lebanese Women Researchers.
- Soufi, H. (2002). Al kota filawsat ashababiya [Quota among the youth]. Beirut: Lebanese Council of Women.
- Soufi, H. (2001). Al-ma'loumat al-mouta'alliqa bilma'aref 'an alumam almuttahida fi koutob attarbiya al-wataniya wattanish`a al-madaniyya [Information on the knowledge of the United Nations in the books of national education and civic education]. Unpublished study for the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization.
- Soufi, H. (1999). Dawr al-hay`at annisa`iya ghayr al-houkoumiya fi rasm assiyasat al-'amma. Unpublished paper presented at the conference organized by the Foundation for International Training, Mariot Hotel, Beirut, 15 - 16 July.
- Author of two film scenarios: Documentary on Youth Participation in the Elections (2007) & Documentary on women participation in Decision Making (1999).
- Author of more than 1000 articles and newspaper columns in the art critique genre, 1986 - present.
Exhibitions, lectures & performances:
- 961 Entrepreneurs, Palais des Congres, Paris, Sept 10, 2015.
- Bangladesh Asian Biennale, September/October, 2014, 2012, 2010.
- Algeria Capital of Culture, 2008.
- International Biennale of Teheran, 2009, 2007. 2005.
- Arab Annual Exhibition, National Library, Damascus, 2004.
- For a Fairer world, Oxfam, London, 2000.
- Lattakia Biennale, People Gallery, 1996.
Awards and Distinctions
- Honors From Tripoli Municipality for Founding Al Fayhaa Choir, 2003.
- Creativity Award, Minister of Culture, Nov 2013
- Art Critic Competition Award (Sharjah, UAE), 2007.
- Best Assemblage for a Tree Form Competition, 2003.