Hayat Wahab Arslan
Who Is She
What I have done for Lebanon
I commissioned myself to the task of preserving Human dignity & the right of citizens to live decently. That was expressed by the claim of securing education, medical care & housing. So I established a school, an infirmary and I assisted in solving housing problem as much as possible. My assistance was limited since no one can be an alternative to the government which is supposed to be responsible for her citizens well being.
I empowered simple women economically by training them how to earn their living by earning a skill and to become productive members in their families and to avoid asking. So I established the training school in Aley which is still functioning. This school graduated and still graduating big numbers of women. Thus the graduates are no more marginalized enjoying trust and respect in their societies.
I empowered women politically by lobbying, advocating & claiming for Quota adoption. So I established “The Committee for Women Political Empowerment”2004 which was licensed in 2006.Though women political quota was not adopted, women political status progressed remarkably. Our condensed struggle, urgent claims and perpetual activism resulted in a new policy of appointing women in all consecutive cabinets since 2004 except for once on 2011. Our activism was a continuation of the historical struggle of Lebanese women.
Contact information / Private
Contact information / Work
- Bachelor degree, Political Sciences, 1990, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
Areas of expertise
- Empowerment of Women
- Fund-raising Events
- School Management
- Management of a Medical Dispensary for Women
- Chief Executive Officer, 1996 - present, Training School in Aley.
- President, 1983 - present, Society of Lebanon the Giver.
- Director, 1983 - present, New Generation School in Hasbaya.
- Manager, 2000- present, Hasbaya Women Infirmary.
Honorary office and memberships
- Founding member in the Patriotic Allegiance Movement, 2009 - present.
- Member of the Lebanese - Moroccan Friendship Committee, 2009 - present.
- Member of the National Commission for Lebanese Women, 2008 - 2014.
- President and Founder of the Committee for Women Political Empowerment, 2004 - present.
- Member of the Lebanese Council for Women, 2002 - present.
- President of the Administrative Council of the Lebanese Artisanal Co-operative, 1993 - present.
- President and Founder of the Society of Lebanon the Giver, 1983 - present.
- Owner of the New Generation School in Hasbaya, 1983 - 2014.
- Arslan, H. (2005). Al-Mar'a sharik asasi fi al-qarar al-siyasi [Women are essential partners in political decision-making].Jounieh: St. Paul Press
- Arslan H. (2013) Faysal Arslan I’tanqa lwatana mathhaban dar an nahar
- Organizing 58 local, regional & international handicrafts exhibitions, 1990 - 2009.
- Organizing 3 conferences to lobby for quota for women in the new Lebanese electoral law titled Women in ministerial positions (2004), Women in decision-making positions(2006), and Women Quota, (2006).
- Implementing the training program Women Empowerment that targets potential women leaders, 2004 - 2006.
- Implementing Awareness programs including organizing the theater play Bala Wastaaddressed to students in public and private schools and universities in Aley and Baabda regions in 2004.
- Participating in the exchange program Lebanese Women in Political Leadershiporganized in 2001 by the US State Department Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs Office of Citizen Exchanges.