Hanan Nazem Saab
Who Is She
What I have done for Lebanon
Pharmamed succeeded over the years in availing medications for chronic diseases such as cancer and blood disorders, thereby impacting the lives of patients across Lebanon and some parts of the region.
A firm believer in the power of collective action for advancing women’s rights, I have founded, led and actively participated in various local, regional and international associations (per listed above) and networks focused on women’s economic advancement through capacity-building, mentorship, financial resources, role models and networking activities, to start, advance countless women’s careers and grow their businesses. Importantly, I have also been an advocate for gender equality, and was actively involved in campaigning for policy changes, such as the extension of the maternity leave for women in Lebanon.
Contact information / Work
- Bachelor degree (with distinction), Pharmacy, 1977, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
Areas of expertise
- Founder, CEO & Managing Director Pharmamed (Hanan Akram Saab & Co.), 1992 – to date.
- Member of the managing board of directors of CMP- Beirut, Lebanon, 1994-1998 Company specialized in marketing pharmaceutical products
- Responsible pharmacist, Purchasing department, American University Hospital (AUH) - Beirut, Lebanon 1992, Responsible of the procurement of all medications for the AUH pharmacy
- Hospital pharmacist- American University Hospital (AUH) - Beirut, Lebanon1985-1990
Honorary office and memberships
- Board Member of AUB President Club, 2018.
- Ambassador for Cartier Women Initiative Award (CWIA) 2018.
- Board member in the Arab International Women Forum (AIWF) 2014 to date.
- Member of the board of trustees of Aunhor Academic University for Non -violence & Human Rights in the Arab World 2013 to date.
- Vice president of the MENA Business Women Network (MENA BWN) 2010-2013.
- Member of the Lebanese Pharmaceutical Importers Association 2009- to date.
- Founding member of the MENA Business Women Network, 2008 - present.
- Founding member & Board member of Rawafed, 2007-2013.
- Founding member & president of the Lebanese League for Women in Business, 2007 - 2013.
- Founding member of the Alumni of Chouiefat International College, 2003 - present.
- Secretary of pharmacy chapter of the Alumni Association of the American University of Beirut, 2000 - 2007.
- Founder & owner of Pharmamed, 1992 - present.
- Member of the Alumni Association of the American University of Beirut, 1985 - present.
- Member of the Order of Pharmacy (Lebanon), 1977 - present.
- Established Pharmamed, a company that imports pharmaceuticals, medical supplies, instruments and consumer health products from renowned international companies, and is the exclusive representative of 22 foreign companies in Lebanon
- Featured in many magazines like Arabian Business and the Financial Times in an article titled “Leading Arab Business Women;” and books like "Entrepreneurs at the cross roads" by the Beyster Institute, University of San Diego California in the USA, and "Domains of Influence "by AIWF on Arab Women entrepreneurs in the MENA area.
Awards and Distinctions
- Forbes 200 most powerful Arab Women -2014
- Penrose Award from the American University of Beirut for Leadership, Scholarship, and Intiative, 1977.