Who Is She
What I have done for Lebanon
In the Academic field, in addition to my main position since 1978 as a Professor of Population Studies at the Institute of Social Sciences (section I) -Lebanese University, and then as Emeritus Professor at the Higher Institute of Literature, Humanities and Social Sciences-Lebanese University, I worked with several official and private institutions.
As a Population Expert in the “Permanent National Population Committee” in the Ministry of Social Affairs, I have been able to contribute to several publications dealing with Population and Development Issues in Lebanon and in the drafting of the National Population Policy Document in 2001.
My most important achievement was the implementation of the "Lebanon Maternal and Child Health Survey within the framework of the "Pan Arab Project of Child Development" which led to the development of programs to improve Maternal and Child Health in Lebanon.
At the regional and international levels, I contributed to the formulation of periodic national and regional reports on the implementation of the recommendations of the Cairo International Conference on Population and Development in 1974, as well as the representation of Lebanon in several regional and international workshops, forums and conferences.
Contact information / Private
Contact information / Work
- Diploma, Expert Demographer, 1977, Université de Paris I, Panthéon - Sorbonne, Paris, France.
- Diploma, General Demography, 1976, Université de Paris I, Panthéon - Sorbonne, Paris, France.
- Master's Degree, Social Sciences / Demography, 1974, Lebanese University, Lebanon.
- Bachelor Degree, Social Sciences, 1973, Lebanese University, Lebanon.
Areas of expertise
- Population Studies
- Health Policies
- Reproductive Health
- Consultant/ Head of Project, 2017-2018, Beirut Youth Mixed Migration Project, UNFPA, Beirut
- Professor Emeritus, 2016 -present, Lebanese University, Doctoral School of Literature, Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Professor, 1979 – 2015, Lebanese University ,Institute of Social Sciences - Branch I.
- Professor (Master's Level II), 2008 - 2011, La Sagesse University.
- International Consultant (Iraq's Census Project), December 2009, United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA).
- Professor (Executive Master Program in Psycho-Social Animation in War-Torn Societies in collaboration with the International Organization for Migration, the Ministry of Social Affairs, the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) and the Lebanese University), 2008, Lebanese University.
- International consultant (Formulation of the Population and Development Component of the 2007-2011 Country Programme Action Plan - CPAP), March - April, 2007, United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) - Algeria.
- International Consultant, Analysis of the Data submitted yearly to UNESCO and WHO that is ultimately taken into consideration in the HDR Index and recommendations on the best steps to be taken to ensure better reporting for the following years. January 2006, UNDP, Bahrein.
- Executive director of the "Lebanon Maternal and Child Health Survey - 1996" within the Pan Arab Project on Child Development (PAPCHILD), 1994 - 1996, Ministry of Public Health in collaboration with the League of Arab States.
Honorary office and memberships
- Member, Lebanese Epidemiological Association, American University of Beirut, 2017-present
- Member, Asian Population Association, Chulalongkorn University (Thailand), 2010 - present.
- Board Member, Center for Studies on Aging, American University of Beirut, 2009-present.
- Founding Member, Network of Arab Demography (NAD), American University of Beirut, 2006-2010.
- Expert on population issues, National Permanent Committee of Population, Ministry of Social Affairs (Lebanon), 1993-present.
- Member, International Union for the Scientific Study of Population (IUSSP - Paris), 1986-present.
- Representative of Lebanon, Women Committee of the "Didacthèque Internationale en Management Public", National School of Public Administration (ENAP - Quebec) in collaboration with the National Institute of Administration and Development (Beirut), 1996-2000
- Mixed Migration: Protecting and serving those in transit; Promoting integration and Reducing Discrimination. Paper presented at the Advocacy Workshop on Youth Mixed Migrants in the Arab Region, Mixed Migration Monitoring Mechanism Initiative (4Mi), Danish Refugee Council, UNFPA, Tunis December 4-5, 2017.
- Challenges and Gaps in the existing frameworks and mechanisms, UNFPA Regional workshop on ICPD-Based Post 2015 SDG Priority Indicators and Review in the Arab Region, Cairo 5-6 October 2015
- ICPD at 20 Regional Survey Report: The Arab States region. ESCWA, September 30, 2013
- National Report on Population Issues in Lebanon 20 years after the ICPD held in Cairo in 1994. ( UNFPA, December 2012)
- Syrian Refugees in Lebanon: The Humanitarian Approach under Political Differences, MPC RR 2012/13, Robert Schuman Center for Advanced Studies, San Domenico di Fiesole (FI): European University Institute, 2012
- Naufal, H. (2011, November). Prospects of aging in Lebanon and potential implications for health and social policies. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Lebanese Epidemiological Association on the Epidemiology of Aging in Lebanon and the Eastern Mediterranean, Beirut.
- Naufal, H. "Health policies in Lebanon and their trends towards equity." Social and health policies for equity: approaches and strategies [conference]. London. Nov. 2009.
- Naufal, H. (2003). The demographic situation in Lebanon. Beirut: Printing House for Publishing and Distribution.
- Naufal, H. (1997, September-October). La baisse de la fécondite au Liban [fertility decline in Lebanon]. Population (5), p. 1224 - p. 1233.
- Naufal, H. & Abdel Monem A. (Eds). (1996). Lebanon Maternal and Child Health Survey 1996, Final report. Ministry of Public Health, The League of Arab States.
- Speaker, Seminar entitled "Population Issues in Lebanon", Military School, Lebanese Army, Beirut, March 2007.
- Speaker, Seminar entitled "Advanced Maternal Age: Population and Health Consequences", organized by the Center for Research on Population and Health and the Faculty of Health Sciences at the American University of Beirut, February 2003.
- Speaker, Seminar entitled "Que Savons-nous sur la situation démographique au Liban?" [What do we know about the demographic situation in Lebanon?], organized by the "Centre d'études et de Recherches sur le Moyen-Orient Contemporain", Beirut, March 2002.
- Speaker, Seminar entitled "What do we know about the health of youth in Lebanon?", organized by the Faculty of Health Sciences at the American University of Beirut, June 1999.
- Speaker, Seminar entitled "Population, Health and Reproductive Health: The Experience of Lebanon", organized by Cairo Demographic Center and the Global Program of Training in Population and Sustainable Development, Cairo, December 1999.