Ghida Abdallah Anani
Who Is She
What I have done for Lebanon
With a clear vision, integrity and well-defined mission, Ghida Anani works effortlessly with ABAAD to promote gender equality in Lebanon and protect women and girls during times of peace, war and disasters. She leads a dynamic team comprising of more than 138 women and men human activists, lawyers, consultants, social workers and researchers, dedicated towards achieving gender equality and women’s empowerment. Anani advocates for the development and implementation of policies and laws that enhance women’s effective participation and courageously tests new approaches in her efforts to achieve an equitable society, free of hegemonic masculinities and violence against women.
Contact information / Private
Contact information / Work
- Master's degree, Clinical Counseling, 2011, Saint Joseph University, Lebanon.
- Diploma, Protecting Children from Abuse, 2004, Saint - Joseph University, Lebanon.
- Bachelor's degree, Medical Social Worker, 2003, Public Health Faculty, Lebanese University, Lebanon.
Areas of expertise
- Gender Based Violence (GBV)
- Gender and Gender Equality
- Child Sexual Abuse and Child Protection
- Case Management of Abused Women and Children
- Engaging Men and Boys in Gender Equality and GBV Programming
- Capacity Development, Programming, and Moderation
- Policy Development
- Advocacy and Lobbying
- Founder & Director of ABAAD-Resource Center for Gender Equality, 2011-present.
- Co-Founder and Manager of the Engaging Men in EVAW Program and Head of the Child Sexual Abuse Unit, 2005-2011, KAFA (enough) Violence & Exploitation.
- Medical & Social Worker, 2003-2005, Lebanese Council to Resist Violence against Women (LECORVAW).
- Customers’ Service Officer, 2001-2003, Sahel General Hospital.
Honorary office and memberships
- Gender Advisor at the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA)/Emergency Response Fund (ERF), 2015.
- Board member of the "Girls Not Brides Global Campaign", 2014 till present.
- Co-chair of the National Technical task force to End Violence Against Women at the Ministry of Social Affairs (chaired by the Minster of Social Affairs in Lebanon), 2012 till present.
- Advisory Board Member at Search For Common Ground (SFCG)-Lebanon office
- Anani G., El Masri, R., Keedi, A., & Haddad, F. (2013). Playing for gender equality-training kit. Beirut: ABAAD-Resource Center for Gender Equality & Save the Children International.
- Anani G. (2013). Dimensions of gender-based violence against Syrian refugees in Lebanon. Oxford: Forced Migration Review.
- Anani, G., Usta, J., & Dandashi, D. (2012). Working with gender based violence survivors-reference training manual for frontline staff. Amman: UNRWA.
- Anani, G., & Abi Rafeh, L. (2011). Engaging lebanese men ‘key’ to women’s advance. Search for Common Ground.
- Anani, G., & El Sanousi, M. (2010). Working with men and boys: A strategic choice in the MENA region to end gender based violence (GBV). Italy: Mediterranean Research Meeting.
- Anani, G., Merhi, J., & Hammoud, H. (2010). Dalil huquq al-nisa' al-insaniya [Women human rights training manual]. Beirut: UNFPA.
- Anani, G., Farhat, A., Chemaly, N., & El Hajj, Y. (2009). 'Ila al-amam sir: Al-razma al-tadribiya [Walking towards safety: Arab tool kit on child sexual abuse for educators and care providers]. Beirut: KAFA (enough) Violence & Exploitation.
- Anani, G., Usta, J., Mahfoud, Z., & Abi Chahine, G. (2007). Child sexual abuse - The Lebanese situation. Beirut: KAFA (enough) Violence & Exploitation & Save the Children Sweden.
- Selected by the Italian Society for International Organization and the Italian government for "Women in Diplomacy School", 2014.
- Founded three safe shelters for abused women and their children in Lebanon, 2013.
- Founded "The Center for Men", for psychological rehabilitation of men with abusive behaviors in Lebanon, 2011.
- Guest Speaker at the UNSG press conference on the occasion of the International Day for Elimination of Violence against Women, 2009.
Awards and Distinctions
- Honored as part of the program “Icon of Pioneering” & “Leaders from the land of Cedars” in 2018
- Awarded the “WOMEN LEADERSHIP ACHIEVEMENT AWARD” by The World Women Leadership Congress & Awards for Outstanding Women Professionals / Leaders who have the vision, flair, acumen and professionalism to demonstrate excellent leadership and managing skills in an organization, making changes and achieving results”, 2014.
- As an organization, ABAAD, obtained the WOMANITY Award for innovative approaches to end Gender Based Violence, June 2014.
- Received the "Excellence in Collaborative Teaching Award" from the American University of Beirut, 2008.