Who Is She
Contact information / Work
Ashkal Alwan, The Lebanese Association for Plastic Arts
Jisr El-Wati, str. 90, blg. 110, 1st flr.
423879 1 961
423879 1 961
- Master's degree, Contemporary Art Theory, 2008, Goldsmiths College, University of London, United Kingdom.
- Bachelor's degree, English Literature, 1984-1987, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
Areas of expertise
- Contemporary Arts and Culture
- Curator of Sharjah Biennial 13, Tamawuj, 2017.
- Founder and Director, 1994-present, Ashkal Alwan, The Lebanese Association for Plastic Arts.
- News Editing Bureau and Presenter, 1988-2000, Radio Liban.
- DJ, 1988-2006, Radio Liban.
Honorary office and memberships
- Jury member for The Bonnefanten Award for Contemporary Art, The Netherlands, 2017.
- Jury member at the 10th Sharjah Biennial, 2010.
- Selection Committee Member at "Exposure", Beirut Art Center, 2009.
- Selection Committee Member at the Arab Fund for Arts and Culture (Jordan), 2009.
- Advisor at Guggenheim Abu Dhabi, 2008-2009.
- Board Director at Al-Mawred Al-Thaqafy Culture Resource (Egypt), 2004-2006.
- Advisory Committee Member at the Arts International Fund - Doris Duke Charitable Foundation (US), 2004.
- Consultant Advisor at the Heinrich Böll Foundation (Lebanon), 2003.
- Tohme, C. (2011, November). The Power 100. Art Review, (54), p.137.
- Tohme, C. (2010). Top 20 Leaders-Global, 2010. Monocle, 4, (39), p. 33.
- Tohme, C. , Charafeddine, C., & Refka, M. (Eds.). (2008).Home works III: a forum on cultural practices. Beirut: Ashkal Alwan, The Lebanese Association for Plastic Arts.
- Tohme, C. (Ed.). (2005).Home works II: a forum on cultural practices. Beirut: Ashkal Alwan, The Lebanese Association for Plastic Arts.
- Tohme, C., & Abu Rayyan, M. (Eds.). (2003).Home works: a forum on cultural practices in the region. Beirut: Ashkal Alwan, The Lebanese Association for Plastic Arts.
Exhibitions, lectures & performances:
- Speaker and curator, "The Critical Edge of Curating", Guggenheim Museum, New York, 2011.
- Curator, "Home Works 5: A Forum on Cultural Practices", Beirut, 2010.
- Curator, "Laughter", London International Festival of Theatre, London, 2004.
- Co-curator, "Possible Narratives", Video Brasil, Film Program, Sao Paolo, 2003.
- Co-curator, and Co-producer, "Missing Links" exhibition, Townhouse Gallery of Contemporary Arts, Cairo, 2001.
- Curator, Hamra Street Project: curated exhibition and screenings, Beirut, 2000.
Awards and Distinctions
- 2018 UNESCO Sharjah Prize for Arab Culture
- Awarded the CCS Bard's Audrey Irmas Award for curatorial excellence, 2015.
- Awarded the Prince Claus Award for Culture and Development for her dedication and contribution to the development of critical culture in post-war Lebanon and beyond, 2006.