Azza Charara Baydoun
Who Is She
What I have done for Lebanon
As a Lebanese woman, I had the choice to be citizen of a secular state, and – as per our constitution- a free woman. I, unlike most women my age in the Arab world, was granted the opportunity to be educated, have a career, and be active in the public sphere. I, hence, was able to transcend the limitations of being ‘female only’, or subject of the religious community I was born into. If being a researcher and an activist for women and human rights is what “I have done to Lebanon”, I am simply actualizing the plentiful opportunities of being a Lebanese citizen.
Contact information / Private
- Doctorate degree, Psychology, 1996, Lebanese University, Lebanon.
- Bachelor of Science in Mathematics and Normal Diploma, 1966, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
- Lebanese Baccalaureate II (Math), 1963, Choueifat International School (SABIS), Lebanon.
Areas of expertise
- Social Psychology
- Women and Gender Studies
- Teaching Mathematics
- Researcher and Gender consultant, 1993 - present.
- University professor and advisor, 1996 - 2008, Lebanese University.
- Mathematics teacher and coordinator, 1966 - 1996, public schools (secondary levels), Lebanon.
Honorary office and memberships
- Member of the CEDAW committee of the National Commission for Lebanese Women, 2004 - 2016.
- Member of the National Commission for Lebanese Women, 2002 - 2016.
- Founding Member of the Lebanese Association of Women Researchers (BAHITHAT), 1993 - present.
- Coordinator of the monthly Research Discussion Forum of the Lebanese Association of Women Researchers (BAHITHAT), 1993 - 1998, 2007-2008, and 2011- 2013.
- Member of the Executive Board of the Lebanese Association of Women Researchers, 1993 - 2002, 1998-2000, 2008-2010 and 2012-2013.
- Member of the CEDAW Official Delegation before the United Nations CEDAW committee, 2005.
Most of her publications are posted on her website: www.azzachararabaydoun.wordpress.com)
- Baydoun, A. Ch. (2016). Family violence: Men speak out العنف الأسري: رجالٌ يتكلّمون. بيروت. أبعاد: مركز الموارد للمساواة الجندرية
- Baydoun, A. C. (2014). Muwatina la 'ountha [A citizen not a female]. Beirut: Dar Al-Saqi.
- Baydoun, A. C. (2012). Al-gandar maza taqulina: al-sha’ i`wal waqi` fi ahwal al-nisa’[Gender, What was it you said: common knowledge versus the reality of women's state of affairs]. Beirut: Dar Al-Saqi.
- Baydoun, A. C. (2011). Cases of femicide before the Lebanese courts (Abu Rayyan M. Ed.). Beirut: KAFA (enough) Violence and Exploitation.
- Baydoun, A. C. (2010). Nisa' yuwajihna al-unuf: dirasa maydaniya [Women facing violence: a field study]. Beirut: KAFA (enough) Violence and Exploitation.
- Baydoun, A. C. (2008). Jara'em qatl al-nisa' amam al-qada' allubnani [Cases of femicide before the Lebanese court]. Beirut: Kafa (Enough) Violence and Exploitation.
- Baydoun, A. C. (2008). Sex education in Lebanon: Between secular and religious discourses. In P. Ilkkaracan (Ed.), Deconstructing sexuality in the Middle East. Aldershot, Hampshire: Ashgate.
- Baydoun, A. C. (2007). Al-roujoula wa taghayyor ahwal al-nisa`: Dirasa mydaniya[Masculinity and changing conditions of women: A field study]. Beirut: Al-Markaz Al-Thakafi Al-Arabi.
- Baydoun, A. C. (2002). Nisa` wa jam'iyaat: Bayn insaf athat wa khidmat al-ghayr[Women and organizations: Between doing justice to oneself and serving others]. Beirut: An-Nahar Publishing House.
- Baydoun, A. C. (1998). Sehhat al-nisa`al-nafsiya bayna ahl al-'ilm wa ahl al-din: Dirasa maydaniya fi bayrout al koubra [Mental Health of Lebanese women between men of science and men of religion: A field Study in greater Beirut]. Beirut: Dar al-Jadid.
- Baydoun, A. C. & Bizri, D. (1998). Al'amal al-ijtima'i wa al-mar`a: Qira`a fi al-dirasat al-'arabiya wa al-loubnaniya) (Dirasa bibliographiya) [Social work and women: a reading into studies on Arab and Lebanese women (A bibliographic study)]. Beirut: Dar al-Jadid.
- (Research in process) with Azza Haj- Suleiman, Lebanese women in the judiciary: added value or more of the same.
- Contributing to drafting the official periodic country reports (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th) concerning the implementation of CEDAW in Lebanon, 1998 - present.
- Board Member of the yearbook BAHITHAT (vols. 1, 6, & 14) published by the Lebanese Association of Women Researchers (BAHITHAT).
Awards and Distinctions
- Certificate of Excellence for her scientific research, from 2001 until 2011, in the psychological field (emphasis on women and gender) from the National Center for Scientific Research (CNRS), 2012.
- Arab Women Organization Award for Social Sciences, 2007