Arda Arsenian Ekmekji
Who Is She
What I have done for Lebanon
For the past 40 years, as a university professor, I have exposed hundreds of students to the values of ethics, empathy and tolerance. I taught them that there is unity in diversity and multiculturalism is a blessing and not a curse.
My service to Lebanon also can be summarized as follows: I was appointed as the only woman in the Boutros Commission (NCEL) for drafting a new electoral law in Lebanon (2016) and have been twice a member of the Supervisory Commission of Elections. (2009, 2018).
Contact information / Private
Contact information / Work
- Doctorate degree, Civilizations and Archaeology, 1992 - 1994, University of Paris I – Sorbonne, France.
- Master's degree, Archaeology, 1989 - 1991, University of Paris I – Sorbonne, France.
- Master's degree, Archaeology, 1971 - 1974, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
- Bachelor degree, Ancient History,1968 - 1971, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
Areas of expertise
- Ancient History
- Intercultural Studies
- Lebanese Electoral Law
- Dean of Arts and Sciences, 1998 - present, Haigazian University.
- Professor, Intercultural Studies & Archeology, 1997 - present, Haigazian University.
- Instructor, Civilization Sequence Program, AUB. 1986-1997.
Honorary office and memberships
- Member of the Supervisory Commission of Elections, Lebanon, 2018.
- Chair of the Educational Council of the Armenian Evangelical Schools.
- Chair of Advisory Council of Word Vision Lebanon (2010-Present).
- Member of the Supervisory Commission for Electoral Campaigning (SCEC), Lebanon ,2009.
- Only female member of the National Election Commission for Electoral Reform, (Fouad Boutros Commission) 2005-2006.
- Founding Member of the Friends of the Lebanese Philharmonic Orchestra.
- Advisor to the Society of the Friends of AUB Museum.
- Ekmekji, A. (2012). Confessionalism and Electoral Reform in Lebanon, Aspen Institute, Washington DC.
- Ekmekji, A. (2011,2015). Toward Golgotha: Memoirs of Hagop Arsenian (Grandfather) during the Armenian genocide. [Manuscript submitted for publication].
Awards and Distinctions
- Medal of Lebanese Parliament in honor of Pioneer Women Lubnaniyat 2020, 2016.
- Medal of the Ministry of Interior for a pioneer role in the supervision of elections in Lebanon, 2009.
- Haigazian University Award for 10 years of service in promoting culture, 2007.
- Medal of Lebanese First Lady for prominent female academicians of Lebanon, 2004.