Alia Berti Zein
Who Is She
Alia Berti Zein
Contact information / Private
961 9 925159 & 961 9 915888
961 9 926546
961 3 377088
Contact information / Work
Zein Law Firm
Charles Malek Avenue, La Cigale Bldg.
961 1 336060 & 961 1 337070
961 1 219300
961 3 377288
- Higher Legal Studies, Private Law, 1965, Faculty of Law and Economics, Saint- Joseph University, Lebanon.
- Graduate studies, Lebanese and French Laws, 1964, Faculty of Law and Economics, Saint- Joseph University, Lebanon.
Areas of expertise
- Personal Status Laws
- Women's Rights
- Human Rights
- Lawyer, 1967 - present, Beirut Bar Association.
- President, 2008 - present, Lebanese National Committee, International Association of Lawyers.
- Counselor of the President, 2002- 2004, International Association of Lawyers.
- President, 1998 -2005, Commission on the Legal Status of Women, International Association of Lawyers.
Honorary office and memberships
- Member of the Executive Council of the Maronite League, 2007 - present.
- Founding member of the Forum of Arab Women Lawyers, Association of Arab Lawyers, 2008.
- Treasurer of the Beirut Bar Association, 2001.
- Member of the Beirut Bar Association disciplinary council, 2000 - 2002.
- Member of the Institute of Human Rights, Bar Beirut Bar Association, 1997- 2001.
- Member of the Board of the Beirut Bar Association, 1996 - 2002.
- Member of the Board of the Young Women Christian Association, 1978 - 1998.
- Berti Zein, A. (2003). Women’s rights and international conventions: Result and perspectives. New York: United Nations.
- Berti Zein, A. (2003). Loi et religion: L'influence de la religion sur les droits de la femme[Law and religion: The influence of religion on women’s rights]. Brussels: Bruylant Edition.
- Berti Zein, A. (2002). Houqouq al-mar'a fi loubnan (Barnamage al-maharat al-hayatiya al-asasiya) [Women’s rights in Lebanon (The Basic Living Skills Project). Beirut: Institute for Women's Studies in the Arab World at the Lebanese American University.
- Berti Zein, A. (2001). Le droit à la différence selon la religion [The Right to difference according to religion]. European Bars Federation.
- President of the Commission in charge of the 100 years jubilee of the Beirut Bar Association, since 2014.
- Member of the Association “Women in front” since its foundation in 2013.
- Member of the Catholic Episcopal Commission for the amendment of the Oriental Canonic law in 2011.
- Speaker in the 2nd World Congress on Middle Eastern Studies in Jordan, 2006.
- Speaker in the Summit of the International Association of Lawyers at the United Nations in New York, 2003.
- Delegate of the Beirut Bar Association to the Commission on the Status of Women at the United Nationsin New York, 1998 - 2000.
- Speaker and delegate of the Beirut Bar Association to the yearly Congress of the International Association of Lawyers in the world, 1997 - 2009.
- Speaker and delegate of the Beirut Bar Association and YWCA to the Fourth World Conference on Women in Beijing, 1995.
Awards and Distinctions
- Order of Merit of the Maronite League, rank of Commander, 2017.
- “Woman of the year” by the Cultural Movement of Antelias, 2014.
- The Golden Medal of the Beirut Bar Association, 2003.