Who Is She
What I have done for Lebanon
In agreement with my mission of spreading awareness, preventive and early detection measures for catastrophic blood disorders, I conducted in 2012 a national newborn screening campaign for inherited hemoglobin disorders, identified the exact prevalence of these disorders and enrolled affected children in a free comprehensive treatment program. In 2006, following the death of my son in a car accident, I established Georges Nassim Khoriaty Foundation which offers free medical care to 1000 children with cancer and blood disorders through its comprehensive childhood cancer and blood diseases program and to 10.000 people through its Dispensary. In 201 6 and with the objective of minimizing deaths and disabilities from road accidents, I founded GNK Traffic Academy which teaches Lebanese students ethics and rules of safe driving through an ISO accredited simulator- based curriculum. Since returning from Harvard University in the eighties, I have been offering expert medical care and health awareness to generations of Lebanese children. Above all, I have been mentoring Junior Lebanese Physicians and medical students, residents and fellows to become not only expert doctors but merciful healers.
Contact information / Private
Contact information / Work
- Fellowship in Pediatric Hematology Oncology, 1981, Children’s Hospital Medical Center and Sidney Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, United States of America.
- Residency in Pediatrics, 1979, Children’s Hospital Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, United States of America.
- Fellowship in Pediatrics, 1977, Johns Hopkins University, United States of America.
- Medical Degreee, 1976, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
Areas of expertise
- Sickle Cell Disease
- Pediatric Leukemias
- Preventive Medicine in Pediatrics
- Road safety
- Founding Faculty, 2009 - present, Medical School, Lebanese American University (Byblos).
- Faculty member, 2009 - present, Hematology Module, Medical School, Lebanese American University (Byblos).
- Faculty member, 2009 - present, European School of Hematology.
- Research associate, 2007 - present, Balamand University.
- Head of the Division of Pediatric Hematology Oncology, 2006 - present, Rafik Hariri University Hospital.
- Medical Director, 2006 - present, Children’s Cancer Center, Rafik Hariri University Hospital.
- Director of Blood Bank, 2001 - present, Nini Hospital.
- Head of the Division of Pediatric Hematology Oncology, 1996 - present, Nini Hospital.
- Consultant Hematologist, 1994 - present, Chronic Care Center.
Honorary office and memberships
- Member of the International Society of Thrombosis, 2009 - present.
- Vice - President of the GNK Foundation, 2006 - present.
- Member of the American Society of Hematology, 2005 - present.
- Member of the European Hematology Association.
- Inati, A., Musallam, K., Wood, J.C., & Taher, A. (2010, April 8). Iron overload indices rise linearly with transfusion rate in patients with sickle cell disease. Blood, 115(14), 2980-1.
- Inati, A., Musallam K. M., Wood, J. C., Sheikh-Taha, M., Daou, L., & Taher, A. T. (2009, December 1). Absence of cardiac siderosis by MRI T2* despite transfusion burden, hepatic and serum iron overload in Lebanese patients with sickle cell disease. European Journal of Haematology 83(6), 565 - 571.
- Inati, A., Taher, A., Ghorra, S., Koussa, S., Taha, M., Aoun, E., & Sharara, A.I. (2005, August). Efficacy and tolerability of peginterferon alpha-2a with or without ribavirin in thalassaemia major patients with chronic hepatitis C virus infection. British Journal of Haematology 130(4), 644 - 646.
- Inati, A., Taher, A., Bou Alawi, W., Koussa, S., Kaspar, H., Shbaklo, H., & Zalloua, P.A. (2003, February). Beta-globin gene cluster haplotypes and HbF levels are not the only modulators of sickle cell disease in Lebanon. European Journal Haematology, 70(2), 79 - 83.
- Inati, A., Sallan, S.E., Cassady, J.R., Hitchcock-Bryan, S., Clavell, L.A., Belli, J.A., & Sollee, N. (1983, February). Efficacy and morbidity of central nervous system "prophylaxis" in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia: eight years' experience with cranial irradiation and intrathecal methotrexate. Blood 61(2), 297 - 303.
- Inati, A., Propper, R., & Nathan, D. (1981). Subcutaneous deferoxamine (ScDF) plus hypertransfusion (HiTx) in thalassemia major (TM): A three year follow-up. Pediatric Research 15 (4 II), 817.
- Author of more than 50 publications in peer reviewed scientific journals and of more than 100 abstracts in international meetings.
- Invited speaker at more than 100 international and regional meetings.
- Reviewer of multiple peer reviewed medical journals.
Awards and Distinctions
- Alpha Omega Alpha for contribution to medical research, and promotion of optimal health delivery in the region, 2000.
- Medal from former First Lady Mona Haraoui in recognition for unwavering committment to the Chronic Care Center, 1994 & 2004.