Who Is She
What I have done for Lebanon
- Taught my students to learn Lebanon’s history and to be proud of it.
- Published articles about its history and accomplishments in the newspapers so the public would learn the truth.
- Researched and published a book about women and war in Lebanon and several articles and chapters about the condition of Lebanese women.
- Served as a member of the committee that prepared for the Fourth World Conference about women held in Beijing, 1994.
- Cofounded the Non-Governmental Committee Pursuant to Women's Issues (after Beijing), 1996 - 1998.
- Delivered many lectures and raised awareness about the condition of women in many parts of Lebanon.
Contact information / Private
961 1 332 349
- Doctorate degree, 1969, Harvard University, United States of America.
- Bachelor degree, 1961, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
Areas of expertise
- Humanities (Ancient History, Religion and Literature)
- Activism – Women’s Rights
- Semitic languages (Biblical Hebrew, Phoenician, Biblical Aramaic, Ugaritic and Akkadian)
- Cultural Studies
- Greek (ancient)
- Associate Professor, 2004, American University of Beirut.
- Associate Editor of Berytus, 1988-2003, American University of Beirut.
- Director of Civilization Sequence Program, 1988 - 1994, American University of Beirut.
- Member of University Senate, 1990 - 1994, American University of Beirut.
- Chairperson of several Arts and Sciences committees (Admissions, Administrative, Scholarship, Curriculum, Library), 1990 - 1994, American University of Beirut.
Honorary office and memberships
- Member of the Harvard Club of Lebanon, 2007 - 2010.
- Vice President of the Harvard Club of Lebanon, 2009 - 2012.
- President of the Harvard Club of Lebanon, 2015 – 2018.
- Member of the Board of the Young Women Christian Association (Beirut), 2004 - 2006.
- Founder of the Center for Women-in-Crisis, for the Young Women Christian Association (Beirut), February, 2006.
- Founding member and Vice President of the Non-Governmental Committee Pursuant to Women's Issues (after Beijing), 1996 - 1998.
- Member of the Executive Board of the Non-Governmental Committee Pursuant to Women's Issues (after Beijing), 1998 - 2000.
- Member of the American Association of University Professors & the Association of Middle East Women Studies, 2002 - 2004.
- Member of the Association of Arab American University Graduates, 1998 - 2002.
- Member of the Lebanese Studies Association, 1993-1995.
- Member of the Middle East Studies Association of North America, 1991 - 2004.
- Member of the American Schools of Oriental Research & the American Oriental Society, 1964 - 1975.
- Shehadeh, L. (2013). Asad Rustum, mu’arrikh al-kurssi al-Intaki, massirat ‘umr [Historian to the Apostolic Thronos of Antioch, A Life’s Journey]. Balamand: Publications of the Patriarchate of Antioch.
- Shehadeh, L. (2011). The Name of Syria in Its Ancient and Modern Usage, in The Origins of Syrian Nationhood, edited by Adel Bishara. London and New York: Routledge Studies in Middle Eastern History.
- Shehadeh, L. (2011). Impact of Armed Conflict on Gender Roles in Lebanon, in Gender and Violence in the Middle East, edited by Moha Ennaji and Fatima Sadiqi. New York and London: Routledge.
- Shehadeh, L. (2003). The idea of women in fundamentalist Islam. Gainesville: University Press of Florida.
- Shehadeh, L. (Ed.). (1999). Women and war in Lebanon. Gainesville: University Press of Florida.
- Shehadeh, L. (1998, November). The legal status of married women in Lebanon. International Journal of Middle East Studies, (30), 4, 501-519.
- Shehadeh, L. (Ed.). (1995). Bilad al-Sham fi 'ahd Muhammad 'Ali Pasha 1831-1841[Syria under Muhammad Ali Pasha 1831-1841]. A collection of Asad J. Rustum's articles on Syria, Palestine and Lebanon under Muhammad Ali Pasha. Fully annotated with an introduction and index. Jounieh: Pauline Press.
- Shehadeh, L. (Ed.). (1995). Bi-kanisaten wahidaten rasouliyyah [One Apostolic Church]. A collection of Asad J. Rustum's articles on the Church of Antioch and related material. Fully annotated with an introduction and index. Jounieh: Pauline Press.
- Shehadeh, L. (1987). Some Observations on the Sibilants in the Second Millenium B.C., in "Working with No Data": Semitic and Egyptian Studies Presented to Thomas O. Lambdin, edited by David M.Golomb. Indiana: Eisenbrauns, 229-246.
- Shehadeh, L. (Ed.). (1970). Asad J. Rustum's Lubnan fi 'ahd al-mutasarrifiyyah [Lebanon during the Mutasarrifiyyah]. Beirut: Publications of al-Nahar.
Awards and Distinctions
- Rockefeller Scholarship, AUB, 1958-1961.
- Bachelor Degree, with distinction, 1961.
- Research Fellowship, AUB, 1961-1962.
- Scholarship of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, Harvard University, 1962-1965.
- Teaching Fellowship, Harvard University, 1965-1969.
- Visiting Scholar, Harvard University, for research on the subject of women in Islamic fundamentalist discourse, Spring 2000.
- Distinguished Faculty Service Award for research, publications and teaching, American University of Beirut, June 2004.
- Woman of the Year, Antelias Cultural Movement, March 2016.